Tuesday, January 10

Privacy

How you say that word may reflect how you feel about it, but these days it's becoming a hotter topic in Canada also. This was brought sharply to my attention last year while I was teaching in Manitoba. I was cautioned that I could not put up a bulletin board display in my classroom with the students' Spelling test results, nor could I pass out or announce the summary of results on chapter tests in Mathematics. These offended the privacy rights of my students! Again, during my move to Ontario, I was reminded that Manitoba could not forward information about my criminal or driving record unless I wrote them specific permission which would be valid on a one-time-only basis. I had thought that this level of personal concern only afflicted our American neighbours. I stand corrected!

I'm guessing that any blog writer is slightly less concerned about privacy than average joe citizen, or perhaps blog writers are average joe citizens! At any rate, I have long felt that this heightened concern over privacy was the domain of those with something to hide! However, my sensitivity is gradually being raised. If you have a few minutes, you may be interested to check out this website: (US residents, make sure you work your way right through the article. Canadian residents were not targeted in the final touche!)

http://www.applefritter.com/bannedbooks
If the article titled 'Data Mining 101' does not show up, let me know, and I'll try to figure out where it is.

I was informed, about twenty years ago (by someone who had the ability to know), that spy satellite photos allowed one to read a headline on a newspaper in Red Square. I wonder what they are capable of now. I do have a relative in the security business, perhaps he will enlighten me further!

I still don't quite know how to feel about all this, but I was a little surprised by the website description of data mining, and, it does shed greater light on the domestic spying controversy that is gripping our American friends.

No comments: