Sunday, January 1

Happy New Day!

I do wish good health and well-being to all readers. And I wish this blessing, not just today, but everyday. I am struck by our attention to this completely artificial designation of the passage of time. The dominant culture of our continent has wrestled with (and determined to disregard) the significance of Christ's birth—which actually did happen, if not December 25th, at least some time. Meanwhile, we spend time, energy and a lot of cash to mark January 1st. There is nothing New Year about January 1st, witness other cultures that have differing 'New Years'. Shouldn't we be worried about how we might be offending them?

There are significant dates that do warrant our attention such as March, June, September or December 22nd, when reality on this planet does register a transition. However, I encourage you to consider a shorter view of beginnings. Begin today! Live today! And if tomorrow comes, begin again then! Make some "today's resolutions", and regardless of your success with them, make resolutions again tomorrow, or even later today. I wish you a happy day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying a rather strenuous study of John's gospel with the believers where I worship. Today's study involved a look at the Jewish calendar, specifically regarding Passover. Your comments about there being nothing New Year about Jan.1 underscored my thoughts about the way this culture assumes dominance, often without considering the culture of others. Wouldn't it be something if Christians could convince North America . . and all the dollar driven world that Passover should mark our New Year, since in Christ alone, are we made new.
Until then, I really like your suggestion of Happy New Day!