Tuesday, January 3

Election 2006

Christmas (seasonal?!) leftovers finally consumed or otherwise dispatched, our attention is now demanded by the politicians of Canada. An all-too-brief respite ends in the clash of recently devised, and now released, advertising. So, what do we think of this? Whose values are aligned most clearly with ours? What sins can we not forgive? Will strategic voting (there's a strategy to voting?) deflect our true intentions?

Wendy and I have confounded them all by voting today! Their advertisements will fall on enfranchisement already exercised! And a pox on all their houses!

But seriously, what of you? How will you be influenced? How will you (Will you at all?) exercise your civic privilege?

I encourage you to vote. Vote for the party (the candidate matters little) of your choice. You punish no one but yourself if you neglect your democratic legacy. So bear in mind, but do not be 'put off' by the failures of the past; you're voting for the future of our country. And your vote does count; the complete tally—right down to the few percent of ballots won by the least favoured is the subject of intense examination by the politicians and their advisers. All results will have a measured effect on their choices. So express yourself on January 23rd (or even earlier), while you actually have their attention!

2 comments:

Erica said...

Well, now that the right have united, I guess I'll have to go left.

My mind has been made up, so the parties don't have to confuse me with the facts - as they see them.

I think that I am more won over by vision and plans to obtain that vision, then fear-mongering or reputation bashing techniques. I think the parties all do a good enough job bashing their own reputations. They really don't need to work on it during the election, in my opinion.

I am somewhat jaded as we enter this election. I feel like the outcome is already decided - but I shall vote nonetheless.

Anonymous said...

Concerning the vote...

I heard an interesting comment on the radio the other day by a talk show host who was responding to a caller who stated that he was so disgusted with politics and politicians that he was going to exercise his right not to vote. The host responded by reminding the caller that our veterans fought and died to preserve our freedom. He further suggested that their sacrifice also gave us the freedom to not vote.

I agree... however, I have already voted as well. I went into the local Elections Canada office here in Airdrie on the 19th of December and cast my ballot.

Now I'm crossing my fingers that the good guys will win!