Saturday, July 31

News Update

Another week has passed and we remain on the shore of Lake Wascana, far from my home town, but Dave rolled in this evening, so I may get the signal to pack up and drive, soon! This week marked my sixtieth birthday; I am thankful for the sixty years, and the many greetings from far and wide. We may have started a new birthday tradition, as I got both an ice cream cake and a lemon meringue pie for the occasion—thanks Wendy and Joan. I have been suffering all week from my indiscretions of last weekend when I played thirty-six holes of golf in one day. My back is hurting, and my left shoulder is in constant pain. I had hoped that ibuprofen and rest would have me recovered by now, but perhaps that is another "advantage" of being sixty years old! Anyway, no golf this week! The markets started off the week very well, but then ran sideways and down, so the gains I made on Monday were tempered by the tough days during the rest of the week. Still, I ended up with another 0.2% recovery against my June losses! July has been a good month on the markets. We ended the week watching our Riders destroy Hamilton (Although I would have liked it to be more impressive!) and solidify their hold on first place in the CFL West.

Wendy has continued her unrelenting attack on the yard here. The front landscape is rebuilt; the back yard has been renewed; the lawns have been mowed; the hedges are trimmed; the weeds (and her father) have been attacked with Roundup!

Kristian continues to thrive with a new Lego toy nearly every time Grandma goes shopping. This week he's been building various versions of the house package, and driving around it with his RV/Ambulance and the little army guys in the jeep! I think his speech has regressed a bit—perhaps we're getting too efficient at listening! He talks a lot, including covering both sides of the conversations in the little scenarios he puts on with his toys. He is constantly asking us, "What are you doing, ...?" And continually responding to whatever we tell him with, "What?" even though he knows what we've said.

Erin and Trav are running things back home. We've enjoyed video chats with them this week also. Erin reports that she's not only kept the garden growing, but has begun harvesting it. They've also been able to enjoy the World Junior Baseball Championships currently underway in Thunder Bay.

And that's about it for this week.

No comments: