Saturday, July 24

Golf 2010 Day 3

The final day of this year's event was bright, sunny and hot. I sweltered in the heat, and in the relentless 36 holes of golf. In the morning, I was matched with Mark in a better ball match. Mark started off with difficulties, but I was able to contribute, and when Mark got going, he outclassed our opponents and we won handily, four and three. We were playing Hawktree today, and it is a formidable challenge all by itself. I certainly found the conditions for scoring much tougher, and only managed an 86 in the morning round. Our team mates also achieved some success, so we extended our lead over the US side to 10.5 to 4.5.

The afternoon featured the singles matches. We each played two singles matches at one time in foursomes. I was getting quite tired, and was unable to control my driver as well, so it took a lot of scrambling to save my score. In the end, I had a score of 91, so you can see how I was faltering. However, I managed to win one of my matches easily—five and four, but I was also easily dispatched in the other one, falling four and three. My playing partner for the afternoon matches was Kris. He won one match and halved the other. Our teammates were achieving a lot of success in their own matches, so in the final summation we won easily 22.5 to 12.5.

All told it was a great golf adventure, and getting together with the friends we have developed over the years was a rich part of the event. This completes the eleventh year of the competition. Thanks to Wayne and Mike who do so much to put this together.

No comments: