Saturday, July 3

News Update

The week began in Regina, but our travels have taken us westward, and the week completes on the shore of Lake Okanagan, far from my home town. On Monday, we travelled to Medicine Hat, enjoyed the evening, and spent the night with Jim & Carol—thank you very much! On Tuesday we continued to Lake Country, BC, where we established a temporary residence with John & Marion, and where we've enjoyed the remainder of the week! Thank you, John & Marion. Other family members gradually trickled in until all members of my generation were there, and all but a handful of the membership of subsequent generations.

Family assemblies bring a range of eating, singing, story-telling, lying, boating and golfing activities. I have enjoyed them all, and it will be impossible to assess which one I enjoyed the most. However, golf at Predator Ridge was a highlight. Seven of us enjoyed a wonderful experience on that beautiful course. I had some difficulties with driving, particularly in the middle of the round, but I still managed a 93, and was relieved with this measure of my game against a very challenging course. The main aspect was having the chance to play with family, and experiencing the joy provided by my children to play at Predator Ridge. Of course, there was plenty of good and nutritious food provided at regular intervals, and we all partook beyond both need and sane dietary restriction. Singing is definitely a family trait and tradition, so we enjoyed a lot of that. With age we are able to retell many jokes that some have forgotten, but most seem to enjoy; and one special feature this year was the attendance of "The Most Interesting Man in the World!" who provided much good humour. Poetry recitations were featured one evening; lying was not limited to golf, fishing, taxation or economics!

One part of the reunion was the acknowledgement of John's seventieth birthday, my sixtieth birthday, the twenty-seventh anniversary for John & Marion, and the fortieth anniversary for Wendy and me. I am thankful for all the good wishes!

On the stock investment front, it has been a very bad, no good week. When we started travelling, I made a lazy (or greedy) determination to buy and hold a diverse set of stocks. The markets did not accommodate, and I have been able to enjoy the hazards of buy 'n hold that I used to reserve for my professional advisers! As a result, by the time I got located here in the Okanagan and cut my losses, I had lost about 5.1% on my portfolio. That reduces my gain on the year to 0.8%, and my overall gain to 5.7%. So, that was a bad experience, however, if I learn from it, it won't be a total waste! At any rate, I have escaped to cash, and I will need to get studiously to work when the markets return to productive growth.

Erin and Travis worked part of the week before flying out here; they fly back on Monday morning. Kristian is travelling with us. They are all having a good time connecting with family here.

And that's about it for this week!

No comments: