Saturday, August 7

News Update

Home again, we're home again! On Sunday, we left the shore of Wascana, and headed east. Thank you, Dad and Dave for hosting us so generously and so warmly. We truly enjoyed our time in Regina, and the fulfillment of the work there. It was into Monday morning before we arrived on the shore of Lake of the Woods, on the Winnipeg River, in Kenora. Again, we enjoyed warm hospitality with Eric/A and the boys. We stayed an extra day to work on some projects there, and then completed the trip to Lake Superior and my hometown, on Wednesday. It is good to be home. Erin and Trav have been taking care of things. The garden is almost overwhelming the area; the rhubarb is even larger than when I took the big harvest in June for the family reunion. Only the potatoes have failed. I don't know what is wrong with my potato box plan, but I will need to reconsider it for next year. Again this week, the markets started off well, but we had a Civic Holiday, and, it seemed, by Tuesday the bloom was off. We never did seem to catch up to the promise of better things, and by the end of the week, bad economic news had turned things sour again. Still, I managed another 0.2% of recovery. Rider news was not good this week as they lost their game in Montreal by four points. That, coupled with Calgary's win in BC this evening has knocked them out of first place.

My back has not responded, and I'm still suffering a lot of discomfort, and unable to get a good night's sleep. It seems that when I'm laying down, I experience the greatest pain. I have been stressing my back with work, but if rest this weekend doesn't bring relief by Monday, I plan to get things checked out by a doctor. Anyway, no golf again this week.

Wendy enjoyed the house and yard work in Regina, in Kenora, and now at home. She's a regular Energizer Bunny! The flower beds, especially the hostas are looking great! They have grown far larger than our expectations, and some transplanting will be required. I have returned my attention to the front lawn where the grass is struggling to overcome the weeds in the replanted area.

Kristian seems to carry on with life without missing a beat. He rejoiced to see his mother and (Dare I say it?) the toys he had left behind six weeks ago. It seemed his dog was happy to see him, too.

Thank you, Erin & Trav for taking care of things.

And that's about it for this week.

No comments: