Tuesday, June 13

Golfing 201

I had plenty of time to think about my golf game while I drove back to Thunder Bay. A couple of comments that Tom had made continued to percolate from my subconscious. "On the shots that go astray, it looks like you're hitting at the ball, rather than making a swing. You have to swing; just let the ball get in the way." I recall telling lots of friends and family that same advice! Now why wasn't I heeding it myself?! Tom also noted that a weaker left hand might help to avoid the snap hooks. So, this afternoon, I was back at it. And it worked. And it works!

I determined to take a practise swing before every shot. I figured that this might help me keep my mind on the swing, rather than on the result. I took the precaution of giving my driver the day off, which may have contributed some benefit as well! I had a consistent draw with my three-wood, so if I started it out down the right side it usually ended up in the centre of the fairway. Wow! So this is how Wayne feels! I still pulled a few irons, including the tee shots on two par threes right into the water hazard! I only played fourteen holes before coming in for supper, but I was at six over! And four of those strokes were penalty strokes. I went back after supper to complete my round. It continued to go well, except for a visit to the sand trap on the 7th hole (I played the back nine first.). I had pars on the other three holes, although one took a putt from the fringe to make it! I scored a new low of 78! Now I need to see if I can figure out how to swing this well on a consistent basis. The 89 and 91 the past two weekends were frustrating, although Chapples is two strokes easier than White Bear, and one stroke easier than Quarry Oaks. I will also dig out my newer driver and try to learn to hit it, or replace it. I hope I have permanently retired ol' scatter-gun!

No comments: