Friday, March 24

GOLF 101

The weather is continuing warm, and I am able to get out for my first sessions of preparation for the golf season. Today I am using my three-iron. As I walk I stop to set up properly and take swings at an imaginary ball. Then I walk 200 yards straight forward (the usual distance and direction of my three-iron shots) and prepare to take my next shot. This continues throughout my walk. Every setup follows an efficient routine, and all shots sail beautifully down the fairway. For those who have golfed with me and find that description a little far-fetched, keep following the conversation... my game will continue to improve until the actual start of the season! I notice that the fairways are starting to show through the snow, so I'm thinking I should step up my practice program. I am not actually hitting a ball, the better to concentrate on making a quality swing, and it also reduces the temptation to look up to see where the ball is going. This is often a problem for me, so I'm hoping to improve on my focus. As the saying goes, "Look up and see a bad shot!" Or as King James would have it, "He that... (nah, King James wouldn't say, "He that..."), "He who glanceth upward beholdeth a shot he desireth not!"

I am getting some golf lessons this year. That's bound to be of some value. I don't have an actual pro working with me, but I do have a DVD with lessons on it!! I'll keep in touch!

No comments: