Saturday, April 24

News Update

Another sunny week has passed on the shore of Lake Superior. The beautiful weather has beckoned me often to the golf course this week, but the partially done landscaping in the front yard keeps interrupting! I finally made it out today. I have also kept busy with investments, and have managed to pick up another 0.1% (far short of my goal) onto my portfolio. It's a nervous time on the markets as many analysts are predicting a "correction" (10% or more decrease), so I've tried to maintain vigilance while continuing to develop my protective stop strategy. Protective stops are put in place to get you out of a losing purchase without losing a lot of money. I have worked my way through about a thousand options on this and am starting to gain confidence that I'm getting close to a useful solution. It triggered on Friday at a loss of less than 1% below the high value, but it turned out that it was too sensitive as the stock turned around, so I'm making some small adjustments... My instructors advise that if I'm not taking some losses, I'm not taking enough risk, so I keep working, learning, and some days, improving.

Golf is beginning okay, although the hard hook is still there! It's the nature of golf to always be tinkering with your swing, and trying (hoping?) for improvement. I have played a few holes, but not a full game yet, more so because my main golf buddy is out of town. As mentioned, the landscaping sometimes gets in the way, and I've put in several days of work on that project this week. It is helpful that with advancing age and experience I have become much more efficient in my work, so much so that I sometimes find I can put in a full "day's work" in about an hour!

Wendy has been very preoccupied this week with a friend who is struggling for life. This week she was moved to the hospital where she is being supplied with blood and nutrients and is on the dialysis machine. We pray for another rally so she may return home and enjoy family and friends some more before her departure. Today she was eating on her own, so that was a good sign. Wendy is also in a personal development class this weekend with another of her friends. She is enjoying that.

Erin and Kristian continue pretty much as usual. They've been playing lots of baseball this week. Kristian is an amazing little batter for a four-year-old. Children often play tee-ball at the younger age levels, but he is quite adept at hitting the ball being pitched to him.

Travis is taking extra training at work, so he's been busy with that. He has commissioned his latest website. You can check it out at fossfotography.com Some readers will know Tami, and, for sure, she will enjoy any business the website attracts! As a former html instructor (and proud dad), I think it's a good example of quality work. Of course this evening was special as the Pens finally dispatched the Sens and have moved on to the second round of the playoffs.

And that's about it for this week.

No comments: