Saturday, April 3

News Update

We have enjoyed another week of beautiful weather here on the shore of Lake Superior in my hometown. I did get out golfing on Wednesday, just to make sure I made it in the month of March. My elbow did not enjoy getting back into golfing, so I realized I should have worn my brace. Otherwise the golfing was okay, I was just practicing a bit, so I have no scores to report—often, that goes better! I completed my first half year of investments with the end of March, and managed a some good sales that lifted my earnings to 8.5%. This doesn't compare well to the 15% I am aiming for, but I hope I'm learning from at least some of the mistakes! Today was the start of the Men's World Curling Championships, so I enjoyed watching Kevin Koe win his first game today.

I got checked out by my ophthalmologist on Monday. My sister had recently suffered a detached retina, so she advised me to find out how my eyes were doing. The doctor was very impressed with my vision, and I was impressed that he couldn't tell I had been surgically enhanced! He said my retinas and maculas (maculae?) were in fine fettle, with no evidence of weakness or deterioration, so that was encouraging. As many others do, I had checked out the issues in Google, and had begun experiencing most of the symptoms! My dad suffered from macular degeneration, so that part of the report was reassuring as well.

I am continuing to work on data-training with the school board in Kenora. The plan is for all the principals to learn some new techniques for data analysis and use. This is a big issue that is primarily why I moved to Ontario in the first place, so it is rewarding to be able to continue some of this work. The small schools I was initially working with have all been amalgamated into the larger school boards, but that was still the introduction that has allowed the data work to continue.

The warmer weather has Wendy busy with spring-cleaning. She has managed to get some stuff cleaned out, but requires more cooperation from the rest of us to realize her dreams in this area. She has also worked on a few Easter crafts, sometimes with Kristian's able assistance! I have been thinking about yard work, but nothing much is happening yet.

Erin keeps busy with work, and is currently rejoicing over the completion of Spring Training and is looking forward to the start of the baseball season. Kristian loves baseball as well, and can't get enough of playing catch, pitching and batting. I am continuing my search for a suitably-sized golf club for him so he can practise with me.

Trav keeps busy with work and contracts. The pressure is beginning to build as the hockey season nears an end; soon, the Stanley Cup playoffs will be upon us, and his Penguins will be feeling the pressure to repeat as champions.

And that's about it for this week.

No comments: