Saturday, May 10

News Update

It's been a busy week here on the shore of Lake Superior. This was the week of our annual conference, so that has kept me busy at work. And with the weather improving, there was also the undeniable call to the golf course! Then, you may remember Wendy's purchase of eighteen cedars for the back yard! Next week, I'm scheduled to be back on the road Tuesday through Friday.

On Monday afternoon, I got out for my first round of golf for the year. Chapples (my home course) is still soggy wet, so I drove out to the Municipal, whose sandy soils allow it to be playable earlier in the year, and almost immediately after any rain we have during the summer. It is not a long course (only 5666 yards), and only has two par 3's and two par 5's in a full round. However, it was still rewarding to cart an 81 for my opening round. And my ankle was only slightly swollen afterwards. I got out again on Friday afternoon, and managed a 77, so that was even better. My tender ankle is keeping me from swinging so hard, or hitting as far. My top drive was about 260, with most being around 240. Now, I'm not really playing that well, but the course is wide-open so my errant shots weren't punished. The shorter holes accommodated my lack of length, and my short game was in good form. I am wryly confident that as my ankle rounds into shape, I'll be able to hit it harder, and my scores will get back up where they usually are! (Maybe there is something to this self-control thing! Nah, it'll never catch on!)

I have managed to get nine of the cedars dug into the back yard, and have set up the irrigation system for the full set. I hope to get the rest done on Monday—I guess you would say that I've only managed the back nine!

Wendy has kept busy with her babysitting and volunteering. She is also beginning cleaning up the flower beds and other work in the yard.

Erin continues to do well, and has investigated how much she could qualify for in a mortgage for her own house. Kristian has had a cold for most of the week, but is better for the weekend.

Travis & Sylvia are hosting us for Mothers' Day brunch tomorrow.

And that's about it for this week.

No comments: