Friday, July 6

Pryder Cup 1

The opening round of the tournament is the two-man scramble. This is an event where each partner plays a shot and then we choose from the two results as the location for our next shot. This continues until we hole-out and then the team with the better score wins the hole. I am paired with Mark, a reliable golfer so we can count on a high percentage of fairways and greens hit. I, on the other hand, do not turn out to be a reliable golfer! I don't know whether I am over-psyched for the matches or what, but I do not golf well at all, so that's pretty frustrating. And Mark is unable to make up the difference so while we struggle valiantly, we finally lose our match when they make a birdie on the final hole and we lose 1up. Our teammates fare better and we end the morning matches with a 3-1 lead.

In the afternoon we play modified alternate shot. I am partnered with Bernard, a long hitter and a consistent scorer. Once again, I turn out to be neither! I certainly play better than in the morning, so that is of some encouragement. We fall behind early and by the tenth hole, we're four holes down. We rally and finally regain a tie on the seventeenth hole, but, alas, we fall apart on the eighteenth and lose the match 1up. Once again our teammates hold their own in all other matches, so we complete the day with a 6-2 lead.
In the evening we have a BBQ at Wayne's house... great steaks, great food, great fun!

No comments: