Wednesday, May 3

Round Two

Golf has started for another season. I managed 87 on my opening round, but I was quite disturbed about my driving. I know the fairways were soft and all, but I was only getting it 200 yards, and I was hitting my 3-iron 190! Over the weekend I did some more thinking about it, and remembered buying a new driver last year. It was a concern because it has a stiffer shaft than I'm used to. Well, I reasoned that my newly manufactured golf swing might not be letting me swing hard enough to make the shaft work. Apparently, with graphite shafts you have to be more careful to get a shaft that matches your swing speed. So, I had two options—swing harder, or change clubs! Swinging harder has always been one of my problems, so I decided not to try that. I got my old driver back from Travis and put it into play for my second round. It paid immediate dividends. I was hitting a little farther (it seems I'm only good for 240 yards now!), but a lot straighter. Next time I plan to try my three-wood. It may go just as far! I used to hit it 230 off the fairway before.

My short game still needs a lot of work before I have any consistency around the greens, but my scoring improved to 81, so that's very encouraging. Eric has picked up a new putter, so I'm sure he'll want to get out and try it soon. Anyway, so far so good!

No comments: