Sunday, May 29

Green!

Another week has passed on the shore of Lake Superior in my hometown. The weather has been nice all week, but has turned cool, cloudy and rainy for the weekend. I have made some progress on the lower deck rebuilding. Wendy has completed the first coat of stain, and is now doing a second coat after each few boards that I get screwed down. This works well, because that's about a full day's work for me anyway! I've kept practicing golf, but the dampish weather this weekend has interfered with my plan to play nine holes. Wendy was scheduled for surgery on Thursday, but after going through pre-op on Wednesday and then fasting and waiting for hours on Thursday, it was cancelled. She'll now be looking at an appointment late summer. I had my training day on Wednesday for my work as Deputy Returning Officer in next week's election. I also managed a bit more yard work in the annual battle with the dandelions. Investors seem to have finally begun buying again, and the markets had a fine week, and I cleared a month's worth of gains despite being less than 50% invested. If they'll keep this going, I may look to make more buys next week. Another round of Stanley Cup playoffs is mostly done as all series but one required less than the full complement of games. Oilers surprised and delighted me by beating Calgary in five games! Now, they'll be playing the Colorado Avalanche in the semi-final. Go Oilers, Go! Carolina will host the Rangers for game seven in that series with the winner advancing to play the Lightning; I'm picking the Lightning there. In the west, I am, once again, picking against my Oilers, sigh! The Blue Jays have been suffering from a lack of hitting lately, and have fallen away from the league leaders. 

Broken Window!

Erica writes, "We had a smashing good morning on Sunday. It started with a broken rear window! We took the bikes to church and played in the band, which was a smash as well. It is very busy season so I should have been working all weekend. Instead I took the weekend off and worked long days the rest of the week—fun times! The broken window has got us thinking about a garage. We are discussing design options and investigating code requirements along with Dad."

Welcome Elly!

Erin and Kristian have added another cat to their family in Regina! This is not my idea of a good time, as I couldn't imagine having one pet cat, much less two! Sadie seems to be taking it all in stride. We'll see how Lucy adapts to the arrival of Elly. 

Travis and Joanna continue to be exhausted from their efforts to train and control their new puppies—they are certainly bundles of energy. Otherwise, they continue with work on their business. Gemma's school year is over; her convocation should be soon, and then it's on to post-graduate options! Andrew is working at Super Store, and should be over to work on his chair soon. 

And that's about it for this week. 

No comments: