Saturday, February 29

Leap Year Day!

Another week has passed and we have returned to the shore of Lake Superior in my hometown. The warming trend has arrived here as well, and we're enjoying watching the beginning of the melt. Bernard and Alicia returned early Tuesday morning.
We enjoyed our weeks with Dad!
We had a lovely visit with Eloise, Don, Sandra, Linda and Chris on Sunday afternoon; Dave was also there for that gathering. On Tuesday, we grabbed coffee time with cousin Grace. Then, we stopped in to catch up with Aunt Ina, Donna, and Enid. Aunt Ina, who is in her 100th year, is currently in the Wascana Centre, but was looking forward to release to her home on Thursday. We packed up and headed east on Wednesday. After overnighting in Winnipeg, we completed the trip on Thursday. It is good to be home. It was interesting to notice Wendy cleaning the house, and to recall that she had also done so just before we left three weeks ago! We have arranged our medical, physiotherapy and dental appointments for the month of March, so we'll begin that process next week as I get a check up on the progress of my broken fingers. Today, she had a barbershop music workshop all day with the Sweet Adelines. The markets continued their slide this week, falling to "correction" levels, and enduring losses not seen in over ten years. Sadly, I also participated in some of those losses as I did not sell out as soon as I should have. Now, I'm down to just one small dividend stock, and will be looking for signals and opportunities to buy back in once the crisis of confidence is over. I was busy last week with the Scotties. My pick, Kerri Einarson, along with her third, Maryfield favourite, Val Sweeting, won the championship. They'll now don Team Canada colours for the World Championship on Prince George. We got back just in time as the Brier began last night with the Wild Card game. There are many high quality teams in the field. I will be cheering for my longtime favourite, Kevin Koe. However, although he's defending champion, he's only ranked #6 in this field. The Brads, McEwen, Epping and even his fellow Alberta team are ranked ahead of him. I'm picking all of those teams to make the championship round, and hopefully SK and MB as well. Then, I'm picking the Brads, Epping and Koe to make the medal round, and I'm picking Brad Jacobs to win it all. (Of course, I'll be delighted if Kevin surprises me!) NHL teams continue their push toward the playoffs; my teams remain in the hunt. As expected the Jayhawks were elevated to #1 ranking. They won their games this week, and now seem in line to capture their conference championship once again.

Erica writes: "I've left Eric—for the weekend. I’m at ladies' retreat with some friends from PA. Eric is celebrating his freedom by playing a bunch of card hockey games. My new medication seems to be working. I’m feeling more positive and Eric says I’m better to be around.
She's travelling incognito!
Liam had another iron infusion and is scheduled for a third for his Gramma’s Birthday. We hope this brings his iron and hemoglobin up. Haaken is submitting an entry to a screen play contest. We are praying that goes well, or that he, at least, gets some helpful feedback which is part of the process."

We enjoyed spending time with Erin and Kristian while we were in Regina. Kristian has grown so much in the last year that we're wondering whether his golf clubs will last him for a second season. He's now taller than Erin and taller than his grandma.

Joanna is currently helping with family in southern Ontario. Travis checked in today with Minnie. All seem to be doing well. Andrew has begun work as a pharmacist's assistant at one of the Walmart Pharmacies here. Trav informed me that their latest team photo bookings brings this season's total to a new record—121! He''s a bit concerned with the faltering play of his Penguins of late, although they are still holding on to a playoff position.

And that's enough for this week! 

No comments: