Saturday, July 29

News Update

Another week has passed on the shore of Lake Wascana in the middle of the prairies. The weather has continued to be very hot, and there are heating warnings posted each day. I did get out for golfing on Wednesday morning, but mostly we just stayed indoors. The golf continues to be a bit better, but now I'm no longer satisfied with mid-eighties! Wendy has continued to push the paint program at Erin's and, today, she completed the main level which was her objective for this trip. We're preparing to head east next week, so we've been trying to complete our various projects. I've had two electrical surprises, so those jobs are on hiatus while I study each situation further. An electronic ballast seems to have failed in Dad's shop, but continuity tests were positive, so why is the light not working? At Erin's I'm planning to add another light and another switch to her basement lighting, turning a three-way, into a four-way. Among other things, I still need to buy some 14/3 wire, and a four-way switch, but there are a lot of ways to wire a three-way, so I decided I would investigate that first and see what the previous homeowner did when he installed it. My research indicated that there were only 9 ways to wire a three-way circuit, but it didn't take too much digging to discover that this guy may have #10! Following the lead from the downstairs switch box led me into the ceiling and a hidden junction box! Always there are surprises! The markets continued to be no good, very bad and ugly! The TSX was red for June, and remains red for the year. I not only failed to make quota, I lost money for the month—that won't do! Baby needs new shoes! The Blue Jays continue to falter their way through the season in last place. However, the Riders put up an inspiring performance tonight to earn a win over Toronto—yay Riders! 

Eric and Erica continued their sojourn in Bonn, where Erica convalesced and healed from her surgery. Finally, she got her stitches out, her next surgeries scheduled, and headed back to Canada. They landed in Saskatoon this evening, and are planning to pick up Haaken and drive down for a brief visit around my birthday celebration tomorrow. This will also allow them to pick up Liam who has been staying at Erin's place. 

Erin and Kristian have enjoyed hosting us, along with Liam for another week. Erin is not looking forward to all our departures, along with Kristian, next week. Her newly painted place will be vacant except for Sadie! Kristian and Liam got haircuts this week; I need one, but the prices are too high here. I need my senior and my volume discounts! The boys have done a bit of bike riding and playing catch, but it's been just too hot, especially by the time they drag out of bed! 

Travis, Joanna and crew are keeping relatively busy in Thunder Bay. Joanna and Gemma had a bunch of weddings to decorate for last weekend. The weather has been warm and wet down there, so the lawns have been keeping them busy as well. Trav is doing off-season maintenance of his programming, spin-offs and assorted websites. He continues to get some contracts for his various businesses. Gemma and Andrew also continue with their summer jobs. 

And that's about it for this week. 

No comments: