Thursday, July 20

Golf post-DVTs

As the year began, I was unable to walk without pain, and feared my golfing days were behind me. I had developed Deep Vein Thromboses (DVTs) in December 2016, and even with gritted teeth was unable to walk more than 50 metres at a time. I began treatment with a blood thinner in January, and my doctor encouraged me to push my leg recovery as hard as I wished. She assured me that the Rivaroxaban would protect me against further damage from the clots, and left me with the watch words, "Elevate or Activate!" So, Wendy and I began a program of walking and, later, cycling to push the circulation in my leg. 

It was not easy, as the failure to circulate blood efficiently left my calf muscle, in particular, screaming for oxygen. The leg achieved ominous discolouration and swelling each day, but partially receded each night. My range gradually improved, and by May I had achieved over 5km of continuous walking which was my target for a round of golf. In June, we headed west, and I tried my first golf in Winnipeg, managing to walk 9 holes with few complaints and lots of swings! Then, situated in Regina, I managed 18 holes on an executive length course. My leg complained some, and the golf was just as poor, but I was encouraged. I have kept it up, playing one round a week, along with practice and a par 3 course with Kristian, and hallelujah, today I'm in Dauphin, preparing for my favourite golf event of the year with my friends from my Dauphin days! Many good golfers are playing the Open this week, so I feel I will be able to perform adequately against this lesser field!! 

I feel very blessed by the improvement in my mobility, and I'm now hoping for my golf game to pick up as well! 

No comments: