Saturday, May 28

News Update

Another week has passed and we have returned to the shore of Lake Superior in my hometown. We began the week in Lawrence, where we enjoyed the company of family and friends mostly connected to Zambia. Thank you Aunt Helen for hosting us! That enjoyable sojourn came to an end Thursday morning, as we caught a flight to Toronto and from there to Thunder Bay. The trip was not uneventful; we arrived in TO in the early afternoon, and since we were booked to leave there about 10:30pm, we began trying our luck at getting home earlier. We had no luck with that, as the earlier flights were not only fully booked, but overbooked! The single result from these efforts came to light when we tried to board our 10:30 flight and found out we were no longer booked to fly! Fortunately, they did have seats available on the flight and we were able to fly home. However, it was not as scheduled because our plane "went mechanical", and our departure was delayed about an hour while they arranged another plane. It is good to be home, but there is a lot of work to be done. I got the lawns mowed on Friday, and completed the removal of the carpets today. Now, we can get back to laying the hardwood. The markets were good to me again this week and I have achieved my quota for May, if I can just hold on! I've even managed to recover some of the missed quota from April. My gout treatment is going well; I have only experienced symptoms one day since I started colchicine. Next week, if all continues well, I plan to add allopurinol to the mix. Canada completed a successful run at the world hockey championship with a gold medal! The semi-finals are over in the NHL, only one of my picks has moved forward as San Jose surprised and delighted me by beating St Louis. I cheer for hockey teams based on style of play, and I like the way both of these teams play. I pick teams based on who I think will win! In the final I'm picking and cheering for Pittsburgh. 

The Baileys completed their trip to Victoria with a long day of flying and driving to get back to Saskatchewan, and to get Liam back to school. He is now off on a camping trip that somehow includes Banff and the West Edmonton Mall—that's what they call camping these days! Erica used up her holidays and had her final day at the University on Friday. Monday she stops commuting and begins at Deloitte. Eric has been asked to serve as Elder for their congregation in Prince Albert, and naturally we're very proud of both of them over this recognition. Haaken met with the University of Regina accessibility department as part of his preparation for university in the Fall. He is still trying to get a summer job. 

Erin has been enjoying the improved play from the Jays of late. Kristian is enjoying a few of the special outings and events that comes with the waning days of the school year. 

Travis & Joanna keep busy at their various assignments. Travis has been able to branch out with Puckshots and is taking some baseball team photos. He is also working his connections to try to get set up for a coaching assignment for next hockey season, and he seems to be getting close to finalizing it. He will be closely glued to TV the next while his beloved Pens play for the Cup. 

And that's about enough for this week! 

No comments: