Saturday, May 14

News Update

Another week has passed on the shore of Lake Superior in my hometown. We opened the week with Mothers' Day; Wendy enjoyed thoughtful and beautiful gifts from the children! The weather has been lovely, but it has turned cooler for the weekend—drat! Wendy has pushed forward with the painting, and I've been helping with wall-patching. I'm also trying to plan the hardwood installation. I have not been out for golf as my gout makes walking difficult, however, there is good news on that front! As noted last week, I have been employing a few home remedies, and it seems there was some benefit, but not nearly enough. Wendy has taken up the cause, and is plying me with cherry juice, and cherries—although I'm allergic to cherries. Then, if the anaphylaxis doesn't kill me, I should get better! This week, she decided to wrap my foot in hot cabbage leaves overnight! Then, I guess, we would make halupki for lunch! I decided I should give western medicine another chance! The standard responses of medical science to gout are can't and won't! "Since you're having an attack, we can't prescribe allopurinol." "Since you're not having an attack, we won't prescribe allopurinol." Sigh! Fortunately, my niece, Joy, responded to last week's post with some advice. I took that advice with me to visit the doctor. After I related my long, sad story which would brings tears to your eyes, I told her of Joy's advice. Her response was music to my ears, "Your niece is exactly right!" The magic in it was the suggestion for colchicine. Colchicine works to relieve gout symptoms, while allopurinol works to reduce uric acid. It is often the case that allopurinol brings on a gout attack, so doctors had some reason in their reluctance to prescribe it. Now, I'm on colchicine until I have two weeks free of gout symptoms, then I will add allopurinol to the mix, but continue with colchicine until I have another two weeks clear of symptoms, and then continue with allopurinol for at least two more weeks. After that, they'll do more blood work to see where my uric acid level is. If it has not been reduced sufficiently, they'll increase the dosage of allopurinol. Anyway, I have hope for the first time in years on that front, and I've avoided the cabbage leaves! The markets were troubled all week, but I was blessed with good gains, so I've managed to make quota for a change! The second round of NHL playoffs has ended, and I managed to pick all four winners. In the semifinals, I'm picking Pittsburgh and St. Louis. The Pens opened with a loss, so that's a set back! 

The Baileys are busily working through some transitions. Haaken has registered at the University of Regina and is preparing for his new life there. The rest are getting ready for their trip to Estonia. Erica is ending her work at the University of Saskatchewan and getting ready for her new job at Deloitte. Eric was sick most of the week, so it made for a quiet week. Haaken has applied for some student jobs; hopefully, he will get something for the summer.

Erin and Kristian are moving into the final stages of another school year. We are already looking forward to our summer with Kristian. 

It has not been so busy for Joanna this week after the Mothers' Day rush, but she keeps at it. Travis has managed to push his Penguins through another series, but will have to get them to buckle down after they dropped the opening game of the semi-final. Meanwhile, he also keeps busy with work.

And that's about enough for this week. 

No comments: