Saturday, June 2

News Update

The violent weather spawned by the warm systems has passed, leaving considerable damage in its wake. There was a lot of flooding and house damage caused here in TBay, and some homes remain without power, water or sewage a week later; well, actually some homes remain with sewage—a basement full of sewage! At least one sewage treatment plant failed, and as the backup hit homes some had to break open basement windows to let it out. There was also lots of rain water infiltration into basements so we see many homes even in our area have furniture, ruined wall sheathing, etc on the front lawn waiting for insurance adjusters to take note so it can be disposed of—what a mess! We were blessed to avoid that, although our church building did get a bit of seepage into the basement. We're back in warm weather once again, and the daytime heating brings on the occasional thunderstorm. The markets have continued their dismal way. The TSX was down 6% in May, and I lost 1.6% despite moving most of my accounts to cash. Since that's about how much I need to gain each month, it has left me with homework! The Stanley Cup finals have begun and my choice, the Kings, are doing well so far as they're up 2-0. Wendy keeps busy with church books, house sale in Kenora, packing up Erin & Kristian's stuff, purchasing a vehicle for us, and preparing for her return to Regina. I have continued with bus driving, and I've been working on my golf swing a bit more aggressively; it's showing signs of progress. Perhaps I'll get out for a game next week. 

Eric/A and the boys are waiting for someone to buy their house in Kenora, so they can continue to develop plans and schedule for the move to Parksville. 

Erin has been working the phone lines and internet for connections into Regina. She's hoping for word today on her application for an apartment in Regina. She's had good feedback from the Regina school where she hopes to enrol Kristian. He continues his usual busy school life, and social connections. He was off to a birthday party this morning. His new tooth is coming in well, and a second one is loose. Mark continues to encourage me by letting me win at Scrabble on line. Erin and Kristian both have been practicing golf with me. 

Trav, Joanna and crew enjoyed a weekend in Duluth last weekend. I continue to have concerns on the truck as I had to top up the coolant again. Otherwise, work and life seems to continue as per usual for them. The new green Hyundai is performing well at least. 

And that's about it for this week. 

No comments: