Saturday, January 29

News Update

Another week has passed here on Lake Superior in my hometown. It was a week of getting back into my routines—daily driving of the school bus, and puzzling over the markets. The TSX has not progressed this month, so I'm feeling blessed to be up a couple of thousand with just one trading day to go. It's much short of my targets, but since the market has lost 100 points in the last four weeks, I'm grateful to be in the green. Bus driving has been going fine, and I'm very comfortable with my route. This week was exam week for the High School students, so they were not on the bus much; on two afternoons I had no riders at all for the High School run. We've had a little bit more fresh snow, so I was back into shovelling, but the weather had moderated so I've spent most of the week in slushy driving conditions. I've been able to catch up on curling in the Continental Cup where we prevailed over the World team, and also the TSN Skins where I watch my old favourite, Kevin Martin, eke out a win over David Murdock of Scotland. This weekend, Kevin lost out to Jeff Stoughton, so, I decided to cheer for Jeff, but he lost out tonight. I've also been following the Australian Open tennis, but was disappointed to see our Danish lass lose out in the semis, but glad to see Kim Clijsters win the final. I'm cheering for Djokovic on the men's side.

Wendy has only had a few shifts at Walmart this week, but is busy again this weekend. I'm guessing this is part of the price you pay as a relatively new person on staff. Anyway, she's doing a great job there, so I have to expect that eventually they'll figure out what a valuable commodity she is, and offer to put her on full-time. By this time, she is the virtual manager of the shoe department, but is not recognized nor paid as such. It is simply the usual dedication and ownership she takes of her job responsibilities. I am proud of her. While she is just glad I'm home to take over the snow removal duties!!

Erin is enjoying her new car. Kristian is not so sure they wouldn't have been better off with a van. He liked travelling in Great Grampa's van with its higher seating and better viewing angles. He's progressing well at school, and is off to another birthday party this weekend—more Lego, I'm sure! He had two special treats this week as he got to talk on the phone with his special aunty Erica, and then she had a brief stopover here on Friday on her way home from Toronto. He just squealed when he saw her in the car!

Trav has continued with his usual program and has taken on additional support of coaching other hockey teams just to help out. I hope to complete his top-corner targets this weekend.

And that's about it for this week.

No comments: