Saturday, May 13

Mother's Day

With our Moms (and Dads)

Another week has passed on the shore of Lake Superior in my hometown. The weather has switched to wonderful and we've been enjoying our walks and being able to get out to the yard and  the shop. The yard is coming to life, the rhubarb is thriving, and perrenials are pushing through. We're delivering Mother's Day flowers again this year. It's a bit of fun outing, and also scores some cash. Wendy keeps busy with chorus business and practices, but she also took some time to get a facial this week—I still recognized her, easily, when she returned home. I installed the new front screen door in anticipation of the need for summer ventilation. We like it; it has the internal screen that rolls down as we lower the upper pane of glass for ventilation. In fact, we also bought one for the side door, so when I get the new side door installed, I'll be ready to install a new screen door there as well. We plan to head west next week for a family wedding in Regina, so I'm getting a few tools and projects ready to travel. The golf courses are opening; I managed to get over to the nearby course for a bit of practice and to see how my back liked that! Adding in our walks, my back remains tender, but manageable. I'm planning to try a round of golf next week in Winnipeg—that will be the real test! The markets have remained troubled, and even more so in the USA where the Republicans are threatening to crash the economy. Still, I managed to have a good week, but remain far behind quota for the month. The Stanley Cup playoffs continue and two series of the second round are complete. I've lost another pick as the Devils lost to the Canes. Still waiting to see if my other picks, Oilers and the Stars, can prevail. The Blue Jays are playing well, but they are not firing on all cylinders just yet. The Grand Slam Curling Event in Regina ended last Sunday with Bottcher and Homan winning the respective sides. 

Erica writes, "Tuesday this week, I woke up in the middle of the night with an intense throbbing pain in my hand, and numbness in my fingers. I thought I was having some sort of attack. But, I used my massager on my hand and the pain went away. I consulted with Dr. Erin and she agreed with my diagnosis of corporal tunnel or car-pool tunnel, but advised me of the correct spelling of carpal tunnel! I purchased a hand brace for nighttime use, and it has brought big improvement! I’ll also mention it to my paid doctor at our next visit. Eric had a good conversation with a colleague about developing an addictions counselling program from a systems perspective. Most programs are from an individual perspective. We will see where that goes. Haaken has been down this week with the flu. I haven’t heard much yet from the other two, but it is Mothers Day weekend, so I hope to!"

Erin has been busy catching up at work after her extended vacation. She's not there yet, and with Kristian's regular after school appointments, it is an exhausting schedule. She has also been consulting with her mother over carpet to replace what she has on the main staircase. It's the time of the year for Egg Chairs to be returned to the outside patio area, so we'll see if Kristian manages that with as much alacrity as he did on the move indoors last Fall. 

Travis and Joanna continue to clean up existing orders even as they head into their slow season. Travis is the main guy on the flower delivery service; we just supplement as may be needed. There hasn't been as many floral orders as there were in the early covid years so it's not quite as frantic. 

And that's about it for this week! 

No comments: