Saturday, September 3

Solidarity Forever!

Another week has passed on the shore of Lake Superior in my hometown, bringing us into September. We have been enjoying fine weather with a few showers and a couple of breezy days. I've kept busy watering the new lawns, and hoping for successful germination of the newly sown seeds. I have also engaged in more clean-up and trim around the yard, and am planning the next projects in the shop. Wendy has continued her recovery, and is doing well. She resents the forced inactivity, and chafes against the restrictions to her plans. However, she takes some consolation at the prospect of improved health in the near future and over the longer term. I had an appointment with my doctor on Tuesday over my hearing issues. She noted wax build-up in both ears, and has prescribed oil drops each day until next week when I can get them flushed out at her office. We hope this will help. The markets have continued to be troubled over the prospects of severe rate hikes. Strong economic data both sides of the border have exacerbated the issue as we are once again in the time of "Good news is bad news"! Economists here are predicting a soft landing, while USA pundits are calling for the economy to be forced into recession to combat inflation. In any case, it has made for falling markets, and I have, once again, sold out of my speculative holdings. In the world of sports, college football has started and I enjoyed watching the Sooners win their first. Riders play the Bombers tomorrow in the Labour Day game—a tough assignment for the Riders! The Jays are still not playing up to my expectations and are barely hanging on to a playoff spot. Still, they're playing meaningful games in September and that's always a good team goal. In world women's hockey, we'll be playing our arch-rival USA in the gold medal game tomorrow. 

Erica writes, "Eric’s niece, Marina, is here for a visit this weekend. My work gave us an extra day off on Friday—so I have a four-day weekend! I had a talk with the city this week about our back lane that isn’t a lane. We can organize our neighbours to agree with making the lane legal, which might mean some expense, or we can build a storage building with an overhead door. We also have a request in with SaskEnergy to get our gas line marked. That should happen next week. So hopefully we can design an appropriate storage building. We haven’t heard much from the boys." 

Kristian has begun another year of schooling. One of his classes this semester is Construction, so, I can see that I shall soon be unemployed in that regard! Erin has worked through some plumbing issues, thanks to Shawn. Her main floor half bath had developed a leak, but all is well again. 

Travis and Joanna keep busy with the Ulrich Design contracts, with the family and with the pets.

Two Sad Boys!

The boys have been "to the vet to get tutored" as Larson put it! Darby is also suffering with a sore leg, and is on medication for that—hard to see in a pup! 

And that's about enough for this week! 

No comments: