Saturday, January 30

Vision Improving!

Another week has passed on the shore of Lake Superior in my hometown. The weather turned quite cold during the week, even hitting -25° but has moderated to near zero again, so we were able to get out for a walk today. The vision in my newly repaired left eye continues to improve. I had a followup appointment here on Monday. The doctor was satisfied with progress so far, and booked me for another check in two weeks. My experience with my first pterygium surgery over a year ago predicts that I should have pretty much normal vision by then. I can already see better than I did before the surgery happened, but not for long stretches of time, so I'm often watching/reading with that eye closed.

Still a bit sore, and tires quickly

I have been studying a few more potential projects and have decided I would like to build a wood vise, and a drill press vise soon. I have bought the necessary threaded rod for both projects, so if the weather holds, I'll be able to get at those.

Colourful, isn't it?

Wendy has completed puzzle #3, while I've been struggling with my own puzzle in the markets. I do not fully understand what happened there, but it was terrible, no good and very bad! Some point to the unprecedented "short squeeze" where Reddit-inspired traders took on the big boys of Wall Street and punished them with up to 20 billion in losses. Others point to problems in vaccination deliveries into the arms of folks. Still others point to accentuated concerns over the new Covid variants that seem much more transmissible and may be more hazardous as well. As I noted, there has been a record surge in the markets since US election day, and sometimes this causes the pundits to start looking for a "correction". Whatever the explanation, this week's losses kept me from making quota for the month, and stopped out several of my holdings, sigh! Wendy has kept going on the Norwex clean-up challenges, although she decided to skip today's "Wash Bedroom Walls" call since we're getting ready for a fresh coat of paint in there. The NHL is nearing the 25% mark on the shortened season and my three teams are showing mixed results. Pens (5-3-1) have struggled for consistency while suffering with injuries. Leafs (7-2-1) are doing great! My favourite skaters, the Oilers (4-6), are definitely not meeting expectations. The Jayhawks were dropped to #15 after their three straight losses, took a win midweek, but then got pounded tonight, yikes! They need to get ready for March Madness!

Liam reports that he is feeling okay, but that he has had no noticeable improvement yet from the Remicade. We hope the improvement comes soon! He continues to volunteer with the RU Ministry. Since they can’t dance, he is helping develop more content for the web. He is also looking for work, as EI will be ending. Eric is enjoying his NHL package, especially this week as his Canucks won three in a row. Erica has been struggling with mental health. She wishes she could just take a year off and sleep, but since there are still bills to be paid, life must go on. She has reached out to counselling and her doctor to reconsider her medication. She is scheduled for another Lipedema surgery in late August, but that depends on the COVID situation. It’s been really cold this week in PA—like -40°! Haaken continues to work on his animation. Greg is working in Kenora. 

Erin and Kristian also had a frosty week in Regina, but Kristian bundled up and headed off to school each day. He has his regular in-person days, and then his afternoon tutorials. Erin continues to explore and enjoy new cooking options with her air fryer. Kristian's eczema is responding to treatment.

Joanna continues to isolate after her return from Toronto; she got her negative Covid test result today, yay! Travis has been over here a couple of times; we enjoy the visits. He also set me up with a Firestick TV, so I can enjoy more options for my viewing pleasure—thanks guys! Wendy even enjoys the prospect of Pixar and the Disney Channel. We also get to chat or text frequently.

And that's about enough for this week.

No comments: