Saturday, March 21

Stay at home!

Another week has passed on the shore of Lake Superior in my hometown. The weather has remained stuck in the same rut—ascending to melting temperatures during the day, but dropping back to freezing every night. We even had some snow one day, and I got to scrape it off the driveway one more time! We remained isolated at home during the pandemic. It is still too early to tell whether Canada is being successful with the social-distancing strategy, as at present, we're over 1000 cases and the growth curve (this chart will upgrade at the end of each day) is not encouraging. China has broken the curve, and reports no domestic cases for the last couple of days. They are now taking down barriers and checkpoints; let's hope they are not being premature on this! I had one more medical appointment this week, getting blood work done for my Clot Doctor. I am scheduled to see her next week, but her staff have called to reset it as a phone appointment to avoid the unnecessary physical contact. I have had a fresh ultrasound done on my leg, and now with the blood work, I hope she has some good news for my on changes in my DVTs. I believe the clots in my thigh have dissolved, but I don't know what to think about the clotting in my calf area. My physiotherapy appointments have all been cancelled in light of Covid-19, as have the dental cleaning appointments for both of us. I exercise my hand at home, and I do feel it is gradually improving. Wendy has been ill most of the week; she came down with a head cold (causing us some trepidation!), but seems much improved yesterday and today. She did complete a nightgown using material she got from her mom, many years ago.
The memories are even more precious!
The markets have remained moribund—we had three red days and two green days this week. This resulted in further losses in the indices overall, and I am satisfied to remain on the sidelines. It seems all the sports I like to watch are suspended due to the virus, but I've been enjoying watching some reruns of last year's play! And, plenty of Netflix; we've been watching. I have caught up on Occupied, and we're now watching a new series: Virgin River

Eric/A are in self isolation in PA. Both were able to work from home this week. This was punctuated by Erica's birthday on Wednesday which featured both food and cake treats!
Birthday Supper a la maison! 
La Gâteau!
 Eric has been figuring out how to provide counselling from home over the internet.
Therapy couch not necessary!
Liam’s work has shut down and RU practices are cancelled. So he’s working on his art projects full time. Haaken’s work is still open. He is busy providing enhanced cleaning. We are starting to wonder if he might have had the virus back in January, when he was sick with a cough for six weeks. Nobody else around him has gotten sick, but he does tend to excel at social distancing. I suppose we will never know for certain. Greg has been extra busy lately with food deliveries. Truckers have been really busy, working longer than usual hours.

School did get cancelled in Saskatchewan as well, so Kristian is picking up his domestic side. It is reported that he really enjoys the new vacuum cleaner—a boy after his grandma's heart! Erin has continued to go in to work, although Regina has now declared a state of emergency, so that may be changing as well, although the service department is considered an essential service. Kristian has built up a group of friends from school and they are able to chat and play games on line, so he's not totally cut off. 

Andrew has returned to health and to work. His boss recently returned from international travel, and is now being tested for Covid-19! That's a concern! Gemma was diagnosed with strep throat, and is gradually recovering her health under medication with antibiotics. Travis and Joanna continue to self-isolate; we miss them! 

And that's about it for this week. 

No comments: