Saturday, March 28

Maintain your Distance!

Another week has passed on the shore of Lake Superior in my hometown. The weather has improved further; some nights are remaining above zero and the snow is disappearing quickly. We remained isolated at home during the pandemic. We take the precautions of gloves and breathing filters when we go out. It is still too early to tell whether Canada is being successful with the social-distancing strategy, as at present, we're over 5000 cases and the growth curve (see updated chart) is not encouraging. China has been relaxing the constraints and returning to work. We are watching their results and hoping for the best. I had my appointment with my Clot Doctor on Friday to discuss the DVTs in my left leg. My bloodwork was all positive; she was encouraged to see some small amount of flow through the veins, and agreed with my conclusion that I am now getting adequate drainage from my thigh. I continue to exercise my hand at home, since my physiotherapy sessions are all cancelled. The fingers are sore right now, as I had a set back this week when I over-exerted it while assembling Wendy's new chair that she ordered from Costco.
Ordered Sun; arrived Wed!
The chair looks good and feels firm and comfortable. Wendy continues to recover from her head cold, but it appears she has passed it along to me! I have done more work on the sliding door and have received approval on my two change order applications! Now, I need to apply for an extension on the completion date, and request an advance—that pretty much tears it for a contractor! The markets continued the wild ride this week. I remain mostly on the sidelines, but I managed to make a gain this week, and I'm in the green for this turbulent month as well. Sports continues to be postponed, but I'm am enjoying watching some of the reruns. We've been watching the Netflix series on Pandemics—quite instructive! Meanwhile the real movie plays on outside our doors. USA did not take it seriously, and now they have over 120,000 cases, more than any other country. We are having great concern as the virus moves into India, and into sub-Saharan Africa. It's hard to relate to the toll in death and human suffering that is being experienced all over the world.

Erica writes: "Eric and I haven’t killed each other yet, though I have figured out how I would do it if necessary! We have continued with our night training videos (the Walking Dead) and Eric feels he needs to take up archery. We are settling into the routine of working from home, but Eric misses his usual coffee break and lunch break colleagues. I’ve suggested he should set up a zoom coffee break. Today, we are going on a supply run. Liam is now completely at home in Moose Jaw. He applied for EI and is working on his web comic and other creative ventures. He is deciding whether he needs to give notice and move back to PA. Haaken is still able to work, helping with the enhanced cleaning measures. We’ve talked to him a few times and he seems to be okay. Greg Livingston reports that he still working very long hours delivering food and supplies. He is another type of front line worker at this time and we hope and pray he remains healthy."

Erin continues to work at Taylor Motors, although about half their workforce has been given layoff notices. Kristian is operating from home with mixed success in meeting expectations! It is likely his teachers will begin supplying learning activities online beginning next week. That should help with his preparations for high school, which, we hope, begins in the Fall. Today, we had a nice FaceTime chat with them while Kristian was making chocolates.
Tasty!
One day, Travis and Joanna did grocery shopping for us, so we did not have to go out. They dropped off the groceries on the front step. We enjoyed chatting with them from the front step to the driveway. Thanks guys! Andrew got good news in that his boss has tested negative for CV-19. He continues to work at the Walmart Pharmacy. Gemma is doing more coursework, but online these days. 

And that's about it for this week. 

No comments: