Saturday, May 2

News Update

Another week has passed on the shore of Lake Superior in my hometown. The weather has been nice, and I've been admiring the condition of the golf courses. It seems the greens have enjoyed the mild winter; I look forward to playing, however, I've fallen down with a strange malady. On Tuesday, I awoke to a kink in my right foot. I figured it would release as the day went on, but it hasn't. I noticed some lack of sensation on the side of my foot, and it didn't get better. On Thursday, I went to the doctor who is likewise perplexed. He's advised basic ibuprofen and tylenol, and had X-rays taken of the foot and ankle. We wait to see if they reveal any answers. At least we both seem to be getting over our coughs. The markets completed a terrible month for me in which I barely made any gains, and certainly fell far short of my quota. Now we're at "sell in May and go away" and I wonder what to try next! The NHL playoffs are into the second round. New York and Chicago remain my picks to move along. 

On Tuesday, Haaken and Eric joined Erica in Saskatoon to celebrate Eric's birthday. After eating out at Earl's, they took in the musical: 25th Annual Putnum County Spelling Bee. Haaken was chosen as one of the audience participants and enjoyed being in the play until the intermission—a funny play. Haaken continues to work on his Math and History on-line courses. Liam has started Drivers' Education—yikes! Watch out world! He continues with his preparation for a summer mission trip to Estonia; he is doing course work and raising money for the trip. Eric has been invited to apply for a Senior Counsellor position at his current work. Whether he gets it or not, it is an honour to be asked. Erica's weekly highlight was climbing a two-story oil tank to take a dipstick measurement for year end inventory. That was an exciting change from the typical accounting day, and a bit scary as well at that height! She also climbed through shipping containers to take inventory on spools of high voltage wire, as well as inventory tests on various parts and equipment. Her prize for these additional adventures was a new pair of safety shoes. Liam forgot his hat last weekend, so now Eric is stylin' with the hat and leather jacket! 

Erin is busily engaged in real estate and the related high finance! She has preliminary financial approval, and continues to look over townhouses that may provide a better housing situation for them. Kristian is enjoying spring activities and is now signed up for summer golf camp with grandpa. I'm looking forward to that. 

Travis and Joanna remain busy with work. Gemma has been sick all week with a sore throat and lung congestion. She is now on medication, so we hope for better days. Andrew built a medieval catapult, so no people or animals are safe around here! 

And that's about it for this week. 

No comments: