Saturday, June 22

News Update

Another week has passed on the shore of Lake Superior in my hometown. The weather has been mixed, but while watching the flooding elsewhere, one feels reluctant to complain! The garden is progressing slowly, and the rhubarb is finally getting into picking range! Wendy and I have been working this week for a friend who has a home care business. I've been doing lawn de-thatching, Wendy has been weeding and reviving flowerbeds. I am in pain this weekend as I hurt my back lifting and carrying some 6x6 beams. The chiropractor has provided some relief, but I'm kept from golf this weekend all the same. This is particularly bothersome since my children gave me golf passes on Father's Day! Thanks all the same, guys; I'll be using that as soon as I can! Bernanke made a statement about the end of monetary easing on Tuesday, so I sold off my remaining holdings and managed to avoid the market sell-off that followed. Now, I am looking for opportunity to buy back in when things settle down. The Blue Jays are enjoying much better play, but they have to face the AL East in the next while and that's a tougher challenge. Hockey playoffs continue; Chicago is struggling to overcome a mugging by the Bruins. At this point they lead Boston 3 games to 2. Basketball playoffs ended with my favourites winning; I don't watch the NBA (much preferring college level basketball), but I do take an interest in the results. Wendy has continued to clean out some of our surplus; she has managed to sell several items on Kijiji. 

Eric is relocated home finally. He's been busy investigating options for the next phase of his career and has taken time for some golf practice as well. Haaken has completed his school year; Liam, much to his chagrin, has not! Haaken bought the long-cherished amp for his guitar—the whole neighbourhood may enjoy this addition! Liam has worked with his tutor to complete all assignments for the year; we look forward to better results on his year end report card. The crew is planning a summer road-trip, scheduled to start next week! 

Kristian is ending his school year on a high note as he receives the academic award in his class for the month of June. We are very proud of him, and look forward to spending much of the summer together. Erin is busily trying to complete summer and vacation arrangements. She got an iPad for Father's day! 

Trav and Joanna joined us for Father's Day brunch, and hosted us for Joanna's birthday on Tuesday. Gemma and Andrew are in the final week of school for this year. We enjoy having them close by. 

And that's about it for this week. 

No comments: