Saturday, May 25

News Update

Another week has passed on the shore of Lake Superior in my home town. We started the week in Kansas, and drove up into Minnesota on Sunday afternoon, dodging tornadoes along the way. There were devastating tornadoes behind us, and one passed by in front of us on the way up Iowa. Maybe our weather is not so bad up here after all! We completed the drive home on Victoria Day. It's been nice this week and I've finally started my golf season. On my best year, I had 20 rounds in before the end of May! Anyway, it was a great trip and I thank our gracious hosts: Viggo & Nancy in Rowlett, and Helen & Marti in Lawrence. The Sorento performed admirably, handling well, and drinking fuel sparingly, about identical to what the car consumed—an average of 33.5 mpg, with a high of 36.6 on one highway-only leg. I even ran it up to 110 on the drive from Lawrence down to Dallas and it didn't suffer much: 35.0 mpg. Now I'd like to get everybody used to the idea of km/L. I don't accept the reasoning behind L/100km according to which the Sorento is using 8.4L/100km. It is achieving 11.9 km/L, and I don't see why that kind of number wouldn't be easier for drivers to relate to. It seems clear that, as efficiencies continue to improve, we will get bigger numbers which make more sense to me as being better! My best leg using that descriptor was 13.0 km/L. The world hockey championship went to Sweden, but NHL playoffs continue. The Penguins have completed a win over Ottawa and advance to the Eastern final against Boston. The Western conference is still in the semi-finals, but my favourite, Detroit, is hanging on. The markets were closed here on Monday, but the way they performed the rest of the week, it's just as well! A down week leaves me looking for some gains to re-reach my quota! Wendy has been working on the flower beds and plant pots; I've been working on my small garden.

Eric has been home to Parksville again. He has interviewed for some postings there, and hopes for a favourable decision. He is heading back to The Pas today to complete his practicum. He is set to convocate on June 7th in Winnipeg. The rest of the Island crew are carrying on with usual activities. We were able to chat with Erica on FaceTime a couple of times.

Erin and Kristian have been ill with coughs and sore throats. Kristian is ready to start riding his bike; they enjoy the small community of their housing complex. School and work continues as per usual. FaceTime gives us a chance to see them once in a while.

Trav & Joanna are doing well with work. Trav's business has improved to the point where he's had to end a long-time service contract to concentrate on his new assignments. He's enjoying his new car, and ruing the birds who seem to enjoy painting it! We enjoyed Tuesday night out at the new Star Trek movie, and then the crew was over for supper on Thursday evening.

And that's about it for this week.

No comments: