Saturday, March 23

News Update

Another week has passed on the shore of Lake Superior in my hometown. The weather has been nice and the snow is finally starting to sink away. I have begun thinking about golf season! We enjoyed our first BBQ of the season for supper this evening. Wendy travelled home in style as she was bumped to first class for the flight from Vancouver to Toronto. She also got a night at the Fairmont Hotel in Vancouver, and was privileged to the comforts of the Maple Leaf lounge in both Vancouver and Toronto. I just can't keep up with that! The physical symptoms of my shingles are fading, but the phantom nervous pain continues to be a bother—I hope it fades away soon. The bank crisis in Cyprus has roiled the markets all week and I took a loss as a result. She saw a doctor here about her injured ankle and was assured that it would get better—not particularly comforting! I had two doctor visits myself this week. The first was to see my oncologist who changed our comedy line: this time he assured me that it felt perfectly normal, and I assured him that it felt anything but normal! I also had a six-month followup on blood work to see whether I could improve my cholesterol levels. When they got the results, they called to express their shock and asked me in to explain myself. Apparently my numbers have improved a great deal! I told them about going gluten-free, and they told me to get more blood work in six months and prove it was so beneficial! I've been watching curling all week as the Women's World Championships are on. We lost a shocker to Scotland in the semi-finals, so we're set to play USA for the bronze tomorrow. Scotland and Sweden will play in the final. Our university basketball team lost the national final in our version of March Madness that we actually complete in March! Now, the American college basketball championships are on as well; I've been enjoying watching some of the action.

Wendy started the week with Eric, Erica and the boys in Parksville. She enjoyed taking in Liam's season ending tournament even though they lost the final 10-8. The local paper featured a photo of Liam (p.36). Liam and Erica nominated the coach for a hockey award. You can read his story and vote for him on line. The story was also covered in the local paper. The boys are on Spring Break now and have travelled to Regina where they have met up with Eric and are planning to drive down to Kenora and catch up on events there. Eric has exceeded his goal of 200 counselling hours by spring break—well done!

Erin and Kristian are enjoying having the Baileys in Regina for a few days and the cousins are spending some time together. The record amount of snow that has fallen on the prairies complicate getting around; we hope it will melt soon, but not so quickly that it causes flooding. Parent-Teacher interviews this week revealed that Kristian is surpassing expectations on his progress for the year, so they are raising their expectations. Good work, Kristian!

Trav had more truck troubles this week, so he's back in serious car-shopping mode! I am trying some intensive therapy on the truck! Joanna took my blood for the test early in the week, maybe she switched it with some young athlete! On the work side, Trav returned from his business trip to TO, and this week launched his hockey card service. Joanna continues to be his main employee! 

And that's about enough for this week.

No comments: