Saturday, March 2

News Update

Another week has passed—our final week on Lake Wascana in the middle of the prairie for this trip. I have finished bus driving as of Friday, but I will be riding along with the new driver on Monday and Tuesday. She has been riding with me most of this week. Unfortunately, they are not letting her use a flat-front bus, and the longer wheelbase on the regular school bus will not make some of the turns on my route, so we've been working to redesign the route and hope we've made enough adjustments. She's a beginning bus driver, so Monday will be an adventure! The markets have been troubled this week with the Italian election concerning investors at the beginning of the week and the US sequester dropping another bomb at the end of the week. Still, after the whipsawing, the overall result was basically flat and even a little bit to the green side and I made a small gain. The car has continued to have issues; this week, it was a tire that seemed to have a slow leak. I took it in to Kal-Tire and they noted that it had a lump on the sidewall and refused to put it back on! Fortunately this was Kerry's shop, so he rounded up a replacement pair at a good price and we got those installed on Thursday. At least you can't say the car is 'nickel 'n diming' me to death—it's more like $200 at a time! I got in one curling game this week; I was assigned to be skip. I don't think I've done that since I left Earl Grey in 1977! Without the sweeping, it turned out to be cold work, but I had a good game and we won easily.  I have been very pleased to have this opportunity to get back into curling which I haven't done since I broke my left ankle out in the Okanagan. Wendy has been working to justify her new Costco membership! The Brier started today; the big three favourites going in are: Kevin Martin, Jeff Stoughton and Glenn Howard. I'll be cheering for Kevin Martin, with sentimental nods to Brock Virtue of Saskatchewan and Jamie Koe of the Northwest Territories. 

Erica has been very busy with meetings related to the new budget; she doubts that she has had a solid hour at her desk all week. However, she also received an invite to a conference where Trevor Linden is a keynote speaker—take that Eric! Eric has been accumulating counselling hours; he's currently at 174.25 on his way to the 280 requirement of his practicum. Haaken keeps at his school work and music lessons. He continues to express his contentedness with the move to Parksville. He is planning to begin doing reviews of TV shows and post them on YouTube. We'll be watching for his debut in the coming weeks! 
Liam has begun working with a tutor twice a week; progress is noted on homework completion and quiz scores, so his academic side may be on the upswing! His hockey team continues to play and practise even though the regular season is over, so he isn't losing his conditioning! 

Erin and Kristian have been over regularly this week, so that has been nice. Kiara and Kori are here this weekend. We went out with the whole crew to a hockey game on Friday night featuring Erin's little brother, Eric, who is playing AAA Midget hockey in Yorkton. Eric scored a goal, but also got hurt; however, they won, so I guess it was all right! 

We have been able to FaceTime with Trav & Joanna, so we caught up a bit on life in TBay. His hockey team is heading into the playoffs now. After the slump, they finished the regular season in third place and now begin the playoffs. Business has been going well; the photography side has really built up and Joanna has been hired on part time (no benefits!). Joanna's soccer team continues to lead the league and she's now looking forward to spring league. 

And that's about it for this week. 

No comments: