Tuesday, September 27

Great Golf!

Perhaps it wasn't great golf, but it was certainly great golf for me. Fundamentally, that's what matters about golf (probably about most things in life), that I am able to do a "personal best" without too much worry about comparison with others. Last evening I managed a personal best in golf. I scored +2 on my usual course here in Thunder Bay. I did score a +4 there a couple of years ago, but I haven't broken 80 either last year or this year, so it was quite a surprise to score 73. I had only one birdie, on my 12th hole, but ended with one over on each nine. I am left to enjoy the experience, and wonder why it happened! The lack of soreness in my hands, arms and shoulders tells me that I played much more relaxed than usual. Maybe all the recent golfing with Kristian, Erin and Wendy on par three courses has sharpened my approach shots and my short game. Maybe I'm finally getting used to playing with my new clubs. Maybe I just had a sustained period of good luck! I know I took practice swings before every shot. I know I was able to stay focused on each shot despite the impending good score. But now, I'm afraid to go out again! After all, my 15 handicap didn't arrive by accident, and I'm afraid it may still be there when I return to the course!

No comments: