Saturday, June 11

News Update

Another fine week has passed on the shore of Lake Superior, in my hometown. While the weather has been nice, the markets have not been! We have descended to new lows for the year, and I have been fortunate to hang on to gains. While May was my first down month, June has continued the losing streak, and only a short buy on Oil contributed strongly this week and even allowed me to make a nice gain on Friday. I didn't get out for a golf game this week, but continue to practice, plan, and hope! I picked up two charters this week to supplement my bus driving work. The lawns are looking better, and I even 'watered' my dandelions this morning—I hope that kills off this particular crop. The new lawnmower is working great; Wendy gave away the old one. I've decided to work better, and I'll keep watching out for ads to give away an old husband on Kijiji! The garden is looking good. I've got the cages on the tomatoes, and it appears the potato crop will be a success this year. However, we can't count those until the harvest! The rhubarb is growing like crazy. Hay fever season appears to have ended, and that's a relief.

Wendy has continued to be very busy. She's added some hostas to the plantation in the backyard. They sure add a nice variation of colour and fill in some gaps between the cedars. She has taken on almost full time shifts at Walmart, including her first 7am shift just today. In between she still finds time for grandmotherly pursuits like Kristian's school picnic.

Kristian seems to be on another learning surge as he is able to tell me quite comprehensive stories of his daily events. I'm feeling this will lead to another surge in the reading and writing aspects of his language development. He is very busy with end-of-the-year events at school and day care. Erin keeps busy with work, but the hail-damage rush seems to be easing finally.

Trav has heard some encouraging follow-up on his young entrepreneurship grant, so we hope for a successful decision on that in the next month or so. Joanna is busy with work and the kids, but still hosted the whole family for an indoor picnic last weekend. We enjoyed that. The Canucks suffered a couple of severe set backs in their Stanley Cup quest, but got back on track last night and now lead the series three games to two.

And that's about it for this week.

No comments: