Saturday, June 4

News Update

It has been another fine week on the shore of Lake Superior in my hometown. The weather has decidedly warmed up, and we've had a few thunder storms, so I guess it's officially summer. Bus driving is going fine; we're in the final weeks now. We had a first go-round on the bidding for routes for next year. It was closer than I expected. We've lost thirty-two runs, but there were only eight people before me when the last run was taken. With a few more expected to move or retire over the summer, it will be getting at least interesting when the real bidding is taken at the end of August. Since I just started driving with them last November, there are only about six drivers who have less seniority than I have. The investing business was decidedly bad this week. Weak economic data out of the US dropped markets world-wide. I didn't expect the main damage to come until Friday, but I was wrong and when the markets dipped almost 300 points on Wednesday, I got caught, and ended up down to tune of almost 2% for the week. I'm pretty much out of the market now (12.5% in), but I'll be looking for opportunities again once things have settled on a direction. It has been windy, so I haven't tried playing golf, but practice is going well so far. I received two new pieces of advice concerning my annual allergy battles: Take a program of desensitization, Try nasal irrigation. There were also some references to drugs that may help, but nothing I haven't already tried. Anyway, thanks for the advice; I am going to give both ideas a try.

We had a special event today as our friends, Gord & Nora, celebrated their fiftieth anniversary. We enjoyed the time with them. Wendy had me "purdied up" in the requisite black & white. Otherwise, Wendy has kept up with work at Walmart, and has also been turning some attention to the yard. Our lawnmower is giving up the ghost, but Wendy has sourced me a new electric one, and we're just waiting for it to arrive. She was able to attend Joanna's graduation yesterday; we are very proud of her as she graduated second in her class with a perfect 4.0 average.

Erin has continued to be very busy at work as the recent hail storm still has people working through rental cars as their hail-damaged vehicles are repaired. There is some newer technology that allows them to pop the dents back out for a paintless repair. Their associated body shop has imported a team of guys who are working steadily through the backlog of vehicles needing these repairs. Kristian is doing well; school is in the final stages for the year, so there are lots of special trips and activities going on. His speech just keeps getting better.

Trav continues with work as usual. We are waiting along with him for a decision on his application to start his own business. He enjoyed being able to celebrate Joanna's graduation. Now both of them are focused on developing their careers.

It's Stanley Cup finals, finally, and tonight the Canucks made it two games in a row over Boston. We look forward to them finishing the job as soon as possible!

And that's about it for this week.

No comments: