Wednesday, December 19

Global Warming

It's nearly Christmas here in northern Ontario, but it's above freezing, rain is falling and there are puddles in my driveway. What is wrong with this picture? It must be global warming! Hey, everybody's having their say, and even winning Nobel prizes for their trouble! So, here's what I think—kinda matches with the title of the blog!

That global warming is happening seems to me irrefutable. I find the remarks of the naysayers about as absurd as the promoters. I think that the open questions are concerning the role that people are playing in causing global warming, and conversely, what benefit could be obtained by changing our behaviours. Most of us have been immersed in plenty of evidence that our little green planet is warming up. Videos of stranded polar bears, crumbling ice shelves, and wild fires are juxtaposed against graphs of climbing temperatures. In our own experiences (always a bad source of data) we note wild or at least unusual weather and are given to understand that global warming is the culprit.

At the crux of the matter, it seems to me, is the complexity of our planetary systems against our ability to know and understand them. When I experience a downpour while out golfing (despite the promises of the weather forecaster), I must admit that I am fairly skeptical that we understand the forces at play on our planet very well at all. If they cannot read and interpret the forces at play this morning well enough to protect my round of golf this afternoon, what would make me think they can understand the forces at play over the millennia well enough to predict the next fifty years!? Never mind the even greater knowledge and understanding needed to determine the relative importance of various causes and the expected benefit of particular changes in human behaviour.

I emphasize the benefit and value of considering more comprehensively the costs of my activity and endeavouring to tread more lightly on the earth. I have not been convinced that human activity is the sole source of the global warming we're experiencing; nor am I convinced of the efficacy of human activity in stopping it! I do not worry that there is an economic cost to making environmentally sensitive changes. We have long (always) been able to find economic incentives to get the jobs done that we determine need to be done. This won't change just because it's greener work! There's money to be made here as well!

No comments: