Thursday, October 25

Returning to Golf

Today I golfed for the first time since my accident. I have been over to the practice area a couple of times, and even hit a few on the range, but today I played three holes. It was great! Great to be back on the course, that is. It was not great golf!

I took the precaution of hitting two off each tee with the plan of playing the better ball. As it turned out, I had to play the least bad ball! I played a par four, a par three and a par five. I took the precaution of measuring the drive from the par four since it was down wind (although the breeze was light). You may remember that I have been driving well in the month of August, sometimes exceeding three hundred yards, although it is true that my usual drive even in those heady days was more likely 250 - 260. Now it must be admitted that neither drive found the fairway (and thus cannot be legitimately measured), but I was delighted to find that I could comfortably drive the 275 yards onto the neighbouring fairway! Well, okay, perhaps it was not quite that far; after correcting for direction and dragging it back to the correct fairway, let's say it was 240 yards. Would you believe 220? Okay, if you want to be so particular, it was a 365 yard par 4 and I only had 170 left to the green—do your own math!

I found that not feeling comfortable transferring weight onto your front leg has an effect on the trajectory, direction and length of a golf shot! However, I did not find so much problem with my shorter approach shots. Thus I managed to make the other greens in regulation and finished off with pars on those holes.

The walking was slow, but okay. I found walking up a gradual slope the most difficult as the injured leg just didn't want to push me along very briskly. All in all, a wonderful time!

No comments: