Wednesday, December 6

John is Gone


I am still numb with the shock of the news... my friend, John, is gone. He passed on this morning, and I find it impossible to accept. A young and vital man, the mind cannot accept that he should be ill or die.

John was among the first to befriend me when I moved to Zambia. And among Zambians he was certainly my best friend, perhaps the only one I could truly call my friend. He spoke the truth to me, not only when it was pleasant. Zambians have a pleasant way of often only telling you what they think you want to hear; John was always straight with me. How I miss him! Even over the phone his good humour, his thoughtful consideration of each situation came through. "Well, I suppose," he would say doubtfully, and then continue to tell you how it really was.

John was chief mechanic at Namwianga, and those who followed our misadventures have some recollection of how many times he came to our rescue as we waited with our failed Isuzu. I cannot forget how he came down the road to me while I waited in the dark after my 'road accident' (as the Zambians always call it). The truck was undrivable with one front wheel about 45 degrees to the intended line of travel. He took off the pieces of tie rod, headed off to the nearest town, welded it together, returned to reattach it, did a rough wheel alignment on the side of the road, and I drove that truck home without a shimmy! He had no sophisticated tools, but in his own careful way he did some fine tuning on the wheel alignment back at the shop and when we put it on the fancy computerized system in Lusaka, they found there was nothing they could adjust. I bought a replacement tie rod, and gave it to John to install and do the alignment his way!

John was a wonderful friend and brother to me. John and Tebia visited with us often (at least every week) and also hosted us to meals in their home. I find it hard to imagine life in Zambia without John there.

"Toyobonana alimwi," we said to each other as we parted this past August, but we both thought it would be sooner rather than later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill & Wendy,
I am truely sorry to hear about your dear friend John passing away. My warmest condolences, I will remember you and Johns family in my prayers.
as we says here 'moce mada'
Love, Kara

Jill Slywka said...

Mr. Bill,

My heart is so saddened over the loss of John. He was such a special man - and I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to know him. Without him there, Zambia definitely won't quite be the same. My prayers are with you and Wendy, as you mourn the loss of your dear friend.

Jill

Anonymous said...

Bill,
Thanks for another wonderful photo to help me to remember such a special man, brother and friend. He will be missed so much. What a blessing it was to know him.
Barb Slywka

TamaLa said...

Hello my Beels,

My heart! Thank you for posting about our dear, dear friend. I still cannot believe that he has gone. My heart aches for Tebia and the children. I treasure our many memories of John. He was certainly an exceptional person and role model. I look forward to reuniting over Fantas with him in heaven some day!

Take care of each other.
Love Tamala