Saturday, September 30

Planning Surgery

Another week has passed on the shore of Lake Superior in my hometown. The weather has remained lovely, and I've been getting out for my walks each day. So long as I hold the distance down to less than 2km, I seem to tolerate it well, but if I push it over 2km, I suffer lower back pain and neuropathy in my feet the following day—sigh! Today, I had a followup consultation with my physiotherapist. We have decided that I will be referred to a spinal surgeon to consider surgical options. This summer I was limited to three rounds of golf using a cart, and only one walking attempt which lasted three holes. It's discouraging. Curling season is beginning soon; I shall take advantage of some open ice time to give it a try. Wendy has also been consulting over her cataract situation. She had pre-op on Wednesday, and is scheduled for surgery on her right eye on Monday morning. I don't know whether having her see better is a win for all of us!! I have managed to make more progress in the shop, and look forward to more hours of woodworking out there. Wendy has been cleaning up the place as we look forward to a visit with Bernard & Alicia. They arrived this evening after a long day driving from Brandon; we're glad to have them! The markets were terrible once again as September lived up to its billing as the worst month for the markets. For the month the indices I follow were all red: 
TSX: -3.9%
DOW: -3.7%
S&P: -5.7%
Nasdaq: -7.8%
There have been several issues bothering the markets. A big one has been the FED and their declared intention of raising the interest rates. Last week the FED was all hawkish to raise rates; this week they relented. Then, we faced insanity in Congress as the GOP refused to do their job and pay for the agenda they have passed into law. Fortunately, McCarthy decided today to abandon the crazy MAGA wing of the party and cooperate with the Democrats to pass the funding agreement. I hope this will give us a good start for October. My sporting world has been troubled as well. The Jays played well only some of the time, but they have made the playoffs, so we live on! The Riders continue to flounder, but are also holding onto a playoff position so far. Meanwhile, the #14-Sooners had another big win today, and #3-Texas did as well. Curling is in the early weeks of the season, but featured a "made for TV" event this week with 16 teams on each side. Tomorrow, Dunstone will play Carruthers in the men's final, while Einarson takes on Homan in the women's final. My guy, Kevin Koe, lost out in the first round. 

Erica writes, "Eric and I drove down to Livingston, Montana on Wednesday. Eric has annual training and I’m enjoying the change in scenery. Friday was the social day and we drove down to the Rosevelt gate, the original entrance to Yellowstone. Some of the group headed into the park. Eric and I enjoyed Chico Hot Springs and Spa. We head back on Sunday. Liam, Greg and Kiersten are heading up next weekend for Thanksgiving! We are looking forward to that."

Erin and I have lived and died with the Jays this week and finally, today, they clinched the playoff spot, yay Jays! Kristian is back to youth group on Thursday nights, but has not begun curling yet. 

Travis has been hard at it all week as business has been very brisk! Joanna has also been very busy ever since they returned from their trip to Vancouver. 

And that's enough for this week. 

No comments: