Saturday, July 22

Handsies!

Another week has passed on the shore of Lake Superior in my hometown, but we are on the road! We drove up to Winnipeg on Monday where we enjoyed the hospitality of Tom & Mariette—thanks folks! Tom and I golfed on Tuesday at Quarry Oaks. I took a cart, but walked several holes as I'm trying to test out and build up my walking performance. The front nine was not good, but overall the game went well, and I had very little discomfort the next two days, so I'm encouraged.

Swollen & Warm

We drove over to Regina on Wednesday, and then an uncomfortable adventure began! I don't know what happened, but it looked like I had an insect bite at the base of my right thumb. There was some swelling at supper, and it felt itchy, so I took my Reactine (antihistamine), but it was even more red and swollen in the morning. I took another Reactine, again without any noticeable improvement as we took in Dave's birthday party on Thursday afternoon. Another of my nursing nieces, Ashley, was there, so she looked it over and said I need to go to emergency and get that looked at. So, we went to emergency at 7pm, but were deemed not to be much of an emergency, so we didn't get to see a doctor until 3am. She deemed it a serious infection (as did I!), and prescribed an IV antibiotic. So, I got my first dose then, and a second dose Friday at midnight, and so on through Tuesday night. I feel that the spread has finally been arrested. It got as high as the elbow of my right arm. The hand remains quite swollen, and the skin itches from the pressure. Anyway, all this has taken away from our project work. Fortunately, before the swelling, I was able to get the carpet and underlay removed from the stairwell. Kristian, Erin and Wendy cleaned out the smooth edge and all the staples, so, the stairwell is ready for the new carpet to be installed. In the meantime, while I am sidelined, Wendy is preparing for the bathroom painting project. The markets have performed well again this week, as the USA economy is showing signs of avoiding the FED-inspired recession. And yet, the FED threatens another rate hike next week—sigh! The Blue Jays have come out of the All-Star break with a spurt, but have dropped the first two in Seattle this weekend. However, they are holding down a playoff position. Riders played in Vancouver today against the Lions. It was a loss, but a good effort by the Riders! 

Erica writes, "It has been just another week in Prince Albert. We have been picking various locations around town to explore, just to get out and about each day. On Friday, we went to see Oppenheimer. It’s a very interesting movie—and some of it might even be true."

Erin and Kristian are back in hosting mode! This week it's the grandparents who have moved into the basement room. The garden is thriving, and we're munching tomatoes and strawberries every day. This morning, Erin harvested the first of her peppers for her breakfast and pronounced it excellent! 

Travis and Joanna are taking care of things back in Thunder Bay. Thanks guys! We miss the regular get togethers for cards, but Wendy and I try to keep in practice! 

And that's about enough for this week. 

No comments: