Saturday, October 15

Summer/Fall

Another week has passed on the shore of Lake Superior in my hometown. The first few days were summery with temps in the 20s, but then we turned to autumn, and daytime highs failed to make it into double digits. We've managed to get out for walks regularly, and I feel this is helpful therapy for my ailing back and legs. The muscles seem to loosen up after a kilometre or so, and there is little pain once that happens. I've also been doing my prescribed stretches, and had another appointment with the chiropractor. She's thinking that one or two more visits may complete this particular intervention. I've been swinging my golf club, and while it's a little tender, it actually seems pretty good. Of course, I can't swing as hard as I'm used to, but, some think, that may be a beneficial as well! I'm currently working on a small set of game boards for Greedy—that's going well. May have some pics next week! I had an ultrasound on my leg to see if there's any progress with the blood clots. I'm expecting to hear the results on that next week. On Friday, we started a series of teeth cleaning at the college. It takes them quite a while as they have to check and get approval from their instructors at each stage, but hey, $20! Wendy keeps busy with choral business and singing practice. It's a little strange for the listener (me), as she's hearing the music in her ear buds, but singing the bass line aloud! The markets have continued their wild swings. The wildest this week was Wednesday when option traders got panicked over the possibility of the markets hitting bottom and went into a surge of buying to cover their short positions! Interesting times—I recall in the early days of my market playing, it would be a remarkable day when we had a hundred point swing in the DOW. These days we sometimes see a range of 1000 points in a single day! Sports action is plentiful these days. The week opened with the completion of the first Grand Slam event of the curling season. The winning teams were Gushue over Edin on the men's side, and Tirinzoni over Einarson in the women's competition. MLB continues with the divisional series where I've picked Yanks, Stros, Dodgers and Braves. I had perfect results in the Wild Card series, managing to pick exactly zero of the winners, but only two of my picks have been knocked out so far in this round, and one has already advanced! In college football, both my Sooners and the #22-Longhorns prevailed today. Hockey season has opened and the teams I follow (Oilers, Pens, Leafs) have all managed to get their first win out of the way. 

Erica writes, "We had a short work week, which was nice. We celebrated Thanksgiving on Sunday with Erin and Kristian, and took a moment to remember our poor family down south that have to wait until next month for their celebration. #NotEveryoneGetsOctoberThanksgiving. On Monday, we had a good, long visit with Grampa. He seems to be doing very well. I noted that he has survived the Queen and he reminded me that he was already a year older then Lizzie, so there! Liam joined us on Thursday to see John Mulaney on his comedy tour. John was funny, as expected, and also has the meaningful story of his journey from drugs. We laughed, we cried… In a couple weeks we head across the pond for a family trip. It’s been years in the planning—we are looking forward to the time together."

Erin and Kristian have had a quiet week in Regina, but Erin has been ill. It's probably that seasonal flu that's going around this year. She has been testing, but is negative for covid, however, it's cost her time off work. We hope Kristian manages to avoid it. 

Cutting Board project
Kristian completed a project in woodwork at school. It looks good to me! 

Travis and Joanna are very busy with Bucket Decals and have now begun booking team photoshoots for the PuckShots side of their business—busy times, but good times! Travis was off to Toronto for a few days to take in the AEW pro wrestling event. 

And that's enough for this week. 

No comments: