Saturday, April 9

If Winter Comes...

Another week has passed on the shore of Lake Superior in my hometown. The weather has continued to disappoint, and we had several days of showers—Wendy called them flurries, but you can look it up: "April showers bring..." There is no companion saying about April flurries! I take it as a matter of principle that all precipitation in April through October is rain! The week has progressed normally with the addition of a medical appointment, and a physiotherapy appointment. Dr. Prowse assured me, once again, that, "It feels normal." ["It does not," I responded!] Wendy and I both had physio sessions. We were well impressed with the care and professionalism exhibited by our therapist, and encouraged by his prognosis for improved function in the next few months. Along with the prescribed exercise program, we are getting out for regular walks, and I'm starting to feel that I will be able to walk the golf course by summer. The world is not as troubled as it should be by the war in Ukraine, nor by the resurgent pandemic. Our infection rates and hospitalizations have returned to peak January levels, but our government is in a re-election campaign and cannot admit that anything is going wrong. The federal government released their latest budgetary plan this week, and the markets were surprised and impressed such that we got some green on the screen and in my portfolio.

Jayhawks are Champs!

It was a big week in the world of sports for me. First off, my Jayhawks completed a record-setting comeback from 16 points down to win the national championship in basketball. That was wonderful to watch! Brad Gushue and team have completed the round robin in first place and advanced to the semi-finals in the world curling championship in Las Vegas. They will play Sweden in the gold medal game tomorrow. Baseball season opened with my Blue Jays coming back from 7 runs down for a win—why did they get 7 runs behind? NHL regular season is down to single digit games remaining. My three teams (Oilers, Pens, Leafs) are looking good for a playoff run, but only the Leafs have clinched a spot so far. 

Erica writes, "There is still a fair bit of snow on the ground, but according to my eyes and sinuses, spring is here. It took me several negative COVID tests and a night of being completely stuffed up to realize what the problem was. Wrong diagnosis = wrong medication. We are well into busy season at the firm so I’ve had many long days and weekend work. But it’s going well. Eric has been busy with CMFT meetings and conferences. Work is good and he got to do some professional training on Friday. Liam is heading to Victoria on Monday to visit the BC Baileys and Haaken. Eric and I will follow for Easter weekend. Then, Greg is coming to PA for a visit at the end of the month. Other then that we are looking forward to getting the motorcycles out this month."

Erin and Kristian are eagerly awaiting the opening of the golf courses in Regina. Meanwhile, she writes, "Ball season has started! Opening night was fun to watch. Kristian is down to one phototherapy session a week starting next week. 😊 Liam is on his way to hang out with us for the weekend, and then, I’ll take him to the airport Monday for his flight to BC." Kristian writes, "I have been working on getting a job at Clearview Christian camp as a camp counsellor. I have an interview with Angela coming up."

Travis and Joanna welcomed the arrival of not one but two new puppies.

Welcome Darby & Moxley!

They are heading to Florida for a break next week, so we expect to enjoy some time with Minnie and the new pupsters. 

And that's about it for this week. 

No comments: