Saturday, February 19

Lame!

Another week has passed on the shore of Lake Superior in my hometown. The weather has developed a pattern of alternating cold days with warming trends that have brought accumulations of snow. We have been enjoying our warm home on the cold days, and busily clearing the walkways and driveway after each dump of snow. I achieved a second negative covid test on Sunday, so I was cleared of my isolation time, and back to curling on Wednesday.

Swollen knee—now a cane-user!

Unfortunately, that game did not last long for me! As I stepped down onto the ice for my second throw, my foot slipped, I fell forward landing hard on my right knee, and then fell backward landing on my foot and wrenching the knee. That was the end of that game, and of curling for me for the next while. The doctor feels there is no damage to any of those 3-letter ligaments in the knee, but has ordered X-rays to check it further. We are awaiting those. The markets have been troubled all week by the Ukraine/Russia conflict. As a result, I have had another holding hit stops and sell, so I remain substantially under my investment quota at this point. I also remain substantially under my quota for investment income! The pandemic continues to rage, although the many jurisdictions refuse to keep track of the actual damage. Even under reduced reporting, USA is closing in on 1 million lost to the disease, as they add at least 100,000 cases each day. No province or state can be considered to have the pandemic under control. I spent quite a bit of time this week watching the curling from the Olympics. Surprisingly, our women's team did not qualify for the medal round. The Muirhead team from GBR won the Gold for Women's Curling. The Gushue team qualified, but lost out to the eventual Gold medalists from Sweden. Gushue won the Bronze Medal over the team from USA. The other high profile Olympic event for me is hockey. In this event, it was the men who failed to qualify, while the women rode an undefeated campaign to a Gold Medal victory! Yay! In the NHL, the Oilers have indeed begun a winning streak, proving victorious in five straight games since the coaching change—yay! As a result, they have joined my other teams, Pens & Leafs in playoff contention. I don't get to watch my #6-Jayhawks often, but I did get to see their two-point win over OU, but not their blowout of OSU, nor tonight, when they travelled to WVU who are always tough. However, they won again, and stretched their conference lead. Rock Chalk Jayhawk! 

Sounds like the Baileys have been experiencing similar weather conditions in Prince Albert. Erica writes, "Hi! It’s been a pretty quiet week. The most exciting thing is how rapidly the weather changes. We go from -40 to +5 within a day. Then, back to the cold again. And the snow just keeps coming down every time it warms up."

Erin and Kristian took Sadie for a fresh hair cut today. She's always extra energetic after she gets a fresh cut. 
Sadie! Lucy in the background

Travis & Joanna are still happily busy with their business. As restrictions ease, they have been able to get in more team photo shoots, and also keep busy cleaning up and publishing the photos. Today, Travis came over to run the snowblower. Wendy had cleared the snow to the lawn side of the driveway, and he blew it up onto the lawn. Wendy observes that she has not been trained to use the new snowblower! 

And that's about it for this week. 

No comments: