Saturday, November 6

Do you remember?

I do not remember war. I have not participated in one, although I do have a recurring nightmare where I'm in a war. I would never wish war on anyone. I would not agree to participate if at all possible. I have approached the beaches of Calais on a comfortable ferry boat, and felt the hair on the back of my neck rise as I viewed the surviving gun emplacements there. How did any of our troops survive in the face of those pill boxes? I have walked around the massive gun emplacements in Denmark meant to secure the access from the North Sea against the Allies. I consider how much we have 'improved' our machines of death since then! But I do not remember war. I shudder to think, and pray we will never be called to experience such horrors. Even so, I know that many people in many parts of the world continue to experience war even today. Please God, make it stop! 

Another week has passed on the shore of Lake Superior in my home town. The weather has continued to be mild, and we've enjoyed more outside and yard work. Wendy has begun staining the deck boards for the lower deck. It's a big job, and she may have to finish it next Spring. She has also been very busy with her Sweet Adelines; they are back to practicing together under tight regulations, and she has taken on the assignment of bookkeeper. That has turned out to be a lost more time-consuming than she expected! I am doing some woodwork in the shop. I am currently building a board game, called Quarto. I have decided to try a bit of curling this winter, so I've signed up for a local recreational league. The markets have continued to thrive, and established a growth record for Biden—the best year one results ever. And Congress has finally passed an infrastructure bill, so we can expect job growth and economic development to continue. Covid-19 is also thriving as world-wide cases have increased where total carnage has now surpassed 5 million lives. We have improved 4% in Canada this week, and now only Saskatchewan is out-of-control. In the USA, there are only six states that are categorized as in-control, and yet we have decided to open the borders to land traffic in the coming week—risky! In hockey, my teams are enjoying some better success. Oilers won a spectacular game last night over the Rangers. Leafs won a totally entertaining game over the Lightning, also in overtime. College football is nearing the end of the regular season. My #4-Sooners are off this week. #11-Cowboys won their game, while the Longhorns took a lead into the half, but then coughed up another one. Lots of curling news this week. It started with the Olympic Pre-Trials that ended on Sunday with Jason Gunnlaugson, Tanner Horgan, and Jacqueline Harrison joining Krista McCarville in the Olympic Trials coming up in Saskatoon. Other good news on the curling front, Brendan Bottcher, our national championship team, beat back challenges from Mexico and Brazil to secure our spot in the World Championships. They played a double round robin against the challenging countries in the Americas zone, and emerged with four straight wins. This week the curling feature is the Grand Slam of Curling National from Calgary. My guy, Kevin Koe, has advanced to playoffs, but lost to Brad Gushue. I've enjoyed watching both men's and women's play. The Riders won their game Friday night in Edmonton, but it was not a convincing win over the basement-dwelling Elks. C'mon Riders! 

Erica writes, "Eric has been teaching an anger management class for teens. He used all his skills this Friday to keep from being mad at the Riders! His work has been busy with new counsellor to train and students to teach. On Saturday he has his association AGM. He is busy! I had a regular week of work. I’m going to connect with some friends to check out the local craft fair. (They require proof of vaccination so we are feeling okay about going). I’m also on for worship team this week. Liam is busy so he won’t be able to join me on drums. Haaken reports he is back at Costco. It is encouraging to hear they welcomed him back!"

Kristian got some good news as a cancellation allowed him to get his next hearing appointment this month rather than having to wait until the New Year. Kristian's Art and Performance group, The Deaf Crows, is running a fundraiser of Purdy's Chocolates—sounds like a win-win! 

Travis and Joanna continue to be very busy. They're getting more team shoots for Puck Shots, and the Bucket Decals keep pumping out the door.
Nice installation job!

Still he found time to install a new TV downstairs in the family room. They also bid a sad farewell to one of their rats who was suffering with numerous tumours. Trav bought a refurbished computer for work. He had bought a new one, but he had to return it since some of his software was not sufficiently upgraded to run on it! Their local handy man installed new lighting for their kitchen counters. 

And that's about enough for this week. 

No comments: