Saturday, May 22

May Long!

Another week has passed on the shore of Lake Superior in my hometown. The long weekend in May marks the unofficial start to summer and the gardening season for us. We're not planning a garden, but the rhubarb is coming nicely. The weather has been beautiful, punctuated by some nicely timed showers, but we're threatened with the first big thunder storm of the season tonight. The last two days have been pushing 30°, so it shouldn't surprise us to see a thunderstorm. I have continued harvesting dandelions as I contemplate when I should over-seed the front lawn. Once I put on the seed, I won't be able to dig dandelions for some time! More of the lawn appears to be making a comeback, so I've also been revising the area to seed. On the pandemic front, we're seeing some improvement world-wide as reported cases have declined 14% in the past week. Alberta has shown significant improvement, and is down to 190 new cases per day from its height of over 450 in the last few weeks. Manitoba has taken the lead in infamy, and has been sending ICU cases down here this week. Also, on the bright side, we have made great strides on the vaccination front, and now have a higher portion of our population with a first dose than even the USA. We continue to wait with expectation that our second dose may move forward a couple of months as vaccines have become more available. The province allowed the golf courses to open today. I drove by two nearby courses, and found the parking lots filled and overflowing, so I didn't go in! We had an unexpected and unwanted surprise this week as the water heater quit! Fortunately, my local plumber had the necessary parts to replace the igniter and flame sensor, so I was able to get it going again this morning. The markets suffered this week with four red days. I managed a gain, but not up to quota. Still, I remain on quota YTD, and I am grateful for that. The World Championships in mixed doubles curling have been running this week. Our team, Einarson/Gushue, have acquitted themselves well. They have qualified the country for the Olympics, and will play Sweden for the Bronze medal tomorrow. Scotland plays Norway for the Gold. The first round of the NHL playoffs  is underway, and there have been some surprises! My Oilers have dropped their first two games—c'mon Oilers! The Leafs have split their first two games with the surprising Habs, and lost their captain to injury in the process. Pens are tied 2-2 in their series. Blue Jays continue to play pretty well, but are also finding novel ways to lose games—Let's go, Blue Jays!

Erica writes, "I got a call last Saturday from Sask Health advising that I was identified as being in contact with someone having Covid. Eric and I both got a tests on Saturday and went into isolation. I had a second test on Wednesday and all results were negative! It has been two full weeks from exposure, two negative tests and, now, we are free! Liam is home this weekend for an iron infusion. He and I are on worship team this Sunday."

Kristian was receiving regular UV treatments for his eczema; but now the UV machine is down, so we keep waiting. Lucy is better, and back to her usual self. Erin has been reconsidering the development and use of her back yard area. It's small, but if she could use it all, it would provide a nice area for her box garden and relaxation. Shawn has been promoted at Ranch Ehrlo, and that changes his shifts a bit with four days on, four days off. He's feeling pretty well in his recovery from covid-19.

Joanna is noting significant improvement in her blood pressure, and we hope the will coincide with a wide range of health benefits, including to her eye issues. Travis and I commiserate over the Stanley Cup playoff results so far. Andrew and I have started work on his Adirondack chair. I picked up some more pallets and he cleaned up the necessary boards that will form the main parts of the chair. It should be ready for some pictures next week. 

And that's about it!

No comments: