Saturday, November 30

News Update

Another week has passed on the shore of Lake Superior in my hometown. It has been quite a week for us. On Monday, we travelled down to Toronto for my eye surgery. We met with the doctor that afternoon, then, on Tuesday, the doctor removed an advanced pterygium from my right eye. It had advanced across the eye and completely covered the pupil, so that was an additional concern for her. After removing it, she extracted some tissue from above the iris, and transplanted it into the area of the wound. She has found this extra step a necessary and effective one to prevent the pterygium from regrowing.
Patched up for night 1
She applied a temporary patch over the eye until the next day, when she took that off and examined her work. She pronounced it "good", and discharged me to return home on Wednesday evening. Wendy and I also enjoyed a few special eating out opportunities while in Toronto, but now we're back to our more normal routine at home.
Sore, light-sensitive
My eye is very sensitive, and enjoys it when I close down the lids! I've been prescribed T3s, but I haven't had to resort to those after the first day or so. I also have medication to apply to the eye four times daily during these first two weeks. Then, I switch medications for another two weeks of healing. After that, I'm hoping that I'll be seeing well from that eye once again. I'm already noticing some improvement in that I no longer have multiple images from that eye, but it's still rather obscured. I still cannot read with that eye; that'll be a big day when that happens! The markets were mostly favourable this week, although the volumes were considerably down in light of the US holiday. I managed to complete the week and the month on quota, and with another month like this, I'll manage quota for the year as well. Sports this week has featured the Canada Cup of curling. Kevin Koe has advanced to the final where he'll face John Epping. On the women's side it'll be Rachel Homan facing Tracy Fleury. The Jayhawks won three games and the Maui Tournament. I expect their ranking to improve again this weekend. The Maple Leafs continue their improved play under the new coach, winning four of five. The Pens continue to fight through a plague of injuries while maintaining good effort and satisfactory results. The Oilers are at the top of their division, but they lost to the Canucks, tonight, sigh!

This week Erica was busy wrapping up files at work, getting ready for her trip to Germany. She asks for your prayers so the surgery goes well like the first three and she doesn’t get an infection afterwards, like last time. Both Liam and Haaken continue with work on animation projects. Liam is also developing a web comic which he hopes to have out soon. Eric is done marking his minor papers. He still has 25 major papers of up to 20 pages each. That’s 500 pages of marking—fun times!
Also a pic of their Christmas Tree!

Kristian has been enjoying a week of mathematics homework every night! Aside from work, Erin has been busy with home decorations and other Christmas preparations. Kristian helped her prepare for the staff Christmas party. They were short-staffed at work, so Erin got to be the boss! This weekend, Callum is over and the boys are having a fun time.
Chicken Strips, Fries & Veggies! 

Travis and Joanna continue through their busy season. They're trying to hold it to ninety hockey teams before Christmas. Travis celebrated his birthday on Wednesday, and we took them out to supper on Friday to continue that recognition.
Birthday Supper at BP
Andrew has decided that college is not for him and is applying for entry into the Navy. Gemma continues to thrive at university.

And that's about enough for this week. 

No comments: