Saturday, April 28

DVTs Updated!

Another week has passed on the shore of Lake Superior in my hometown. The weather has been beautiful, and we've enjoyed being out and about. I've even managed a trip to the golf course for a short practice session. Wendy has been doing yard work, while I've been working on developments in the garage where I'm building a bench/project area. She has begun the painting program in the kitchenette as well. On Wednesday, I had my followup with the doctor concerning my deep vein thrombosis (DVT). The vascular surgeon reported that the blood work showed a positive result for antiphospholipid antibody. Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome is an autoimmune disorder that provokes clots. She needs to do another batch of blood testing to confirm this, so I'm scheduled for bloodwork on Tuesday. I have to be off my blood thinner for three days before the test as the Xarelto could make the test ambiguous. Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome gives rise to blood clotting like I'm experiencing, and increases risk of heart attack or stroke, thus the current regime of Xarelto (blood thinner) is being extended indefinitely, and can be expected to remain in place for the rest of my life. The ultrasound disclosed almost continuous clotting throughout the leg from calf to thigh, but showed a narrow passage of venous flow was being accommodated. She noted that further clearance of these clots was not likely, and that interventions to clear them surgically was contraindicated since the disease would likely interpret the intervention as further damage and produce clots to "protect" me! There is the possibility of laser treatment, and she is willing to refer me to examine whether I'm a candidate for such treatment, however, she did not indicate optimism for the benefit of laser treatment. Finally, she allowed that I might try to blame my daughter for not forcing me to the doctor earlier, since the extensive damage we're seeing was likely caused by the delayed treatment from the initial episode. However, she noted, I should instead thank her as she probably saved my life through her persistence in getting me to the doctor eventually! So, thanks, Erin! The markets have continued to be volatile. This week the new issue was the ballooning US deficits under the double whammy of Trump's tax cuts and budget. So, when USbonds had to increase above 3% to attract attention, the stock markets took a kicking, sigh! So, I felt blessed to make quota for a third week in a row. If only the month had started this well, I'd be in good shape. The first round of NHL playoffs has been completed. I lost one team as the Leafs couldn't overcome Boston. In the second round, I have Lightning, Penguins, Jets and Golden Knights! Curling this week features the final events of the season. The Champions Cup is in Calgary for all winners on tour this year. My favourite, Koe, has advanced to the playoffs, so I'm still paying attention! At the World level, the Mixed Doubles Championship was held in Sweden. Switzerland won the gold over Russia; we beat Korea for the bronze. In the Senior World Championships, we had a clean sweep (pun intended!) with wins over US (women) and Sweden (men).

After dropping off Haaken at the airport for his flight back to Victoria and college, the Baileys drove down to Caronport to see Liam perform with RU(Refined Undignified). One of the other guys has left the group, so Liam's role was expanded. His dancing is very expressive. Haaken's next term runs to the middle of July. Erica worked part of the week up in LaRonge; Eric held down the fort at home. Eric found out that his firm had won the prestigious Samuel McLeod business award for service to the public. Congratulations! Today, for Eric's birthday, Liam surprised him with a visit. He arrived in Saskatoon in time to catch them in a bookstore—quelle surprise! A bunch of friends, and the Bailey relatives gathered for a celebratory supper—nice. It was a fun day!
2017 Service Award!
Kristian was a big winner this season in bowling as well. He raised his average by 61 points—that probably won't happen again! Unfortunately, it seems he's decided to stop his school work to focus on his pro bowling career—big mistake, buddy! Get back to the books!
Super season in bowling!

Travis and Joanna had a busy week getting as much work as possible completed before their trip to Florida. They left on Friday with her dad and step-mom. It's a working holiday, as her dad needs the care, so they're helping with that. Wendy is helping take care of the home situation while they're away, so she's spending some time over there for the next while. 

And that's about enough for this week. 

No comments: