Saturday, April 1

News Update

Another week has passed on the shore of Lake Superior in my hometown. The weather has been lovely, and we've been getting out to enjoy it. I was to see my doctor on Tuesday; she was both concerned and encouraging—I like that! She has ordered an angiogram to get an update on what is going on in my leg, and has referred me to a vascular surgeon who will analyze the angio, and advise us on options for further treatment if necessary. I have upped my walk game to 3.5 km. That represented forty minutes of continuous walking at a rate of 5.25 km/h—encouraging. Given that there are frequent rests during a round of golf, I'm feeling that I could make 18 holes for sure. We've been getting our teeth cleaned at the community college; Wendy has completed her sessions, but I still have one more. The markets have been troubled lately, and the DOW was in the red for the month. However, we've been getting improved economic data here, and the TSX has ignored the uncertainty in the US to provide me with quota for the month, and for the first quarter of the year. The sports calendar eased a bit this week, but heats up again beginning today as World Curling Championships have begun. Brad Gushue will represent us well, I'm sure. He started off with a win over Switzerland. The pressure is on him to duplicate the work of Rachel Homan and bring us another world championship. She won the gold last Sunday with a win over Russia. I guess March Madness is over, but the Final Four remains to play out in college basketball. I have two picks still alive as action begins, but I have picked neither of them to advance, and now both probably will! Anyway, with KU gone, I'm cheering for Gonzaga, but picking North Carolina to win it all. NHL teams have only a handful of games left and still some playoff spots are not settled. The Oilers clinched a spot this week, so both of my favourites are in. Sentimental favourite Toronto looks like it is going to make it as well. The Masters opens next week; I always view that as the real beginning of the golf season.
Update: Gonzaga and UNC won, and play championship game on Monday. 

The Baileys suffered a loss as Eric's dad, Jelsing, passed on today. We haven't heard the schedule of arrangements for his funeral. Wendy was able to get some advice from a local woman who has been suffering with Celiacs for years, and has passed that information along in case it may benefit Liam. 

Erin has been suffering lately with a racing heartbeat—this is not good. We hope she will get some answers over this issue quickly. Kristian continues antibiotic treatment for his eye issues, but the antibiotics bring their own side-effects. He had parent-teacher interview day on Friday; he had picture day in his bowling league today. 

Travis and Joanna have been busy all week as official photographers for the Bantam AAA Provincial Championships. They were still able to enjoy the hockey a little, but neither we nor their children have seen much of them otherwise! Gemma is now a fully licensed driver; she's been operating the school taxi this week. 

And that's about enough for this week. 

No comments: