Saturday, January 31

News Update

Another week of our sojourn in Qualicum Beach on the shore of the Pacific has been completed. We continue to enjoy the weather and our time here very much. I made a misstep on Sunday evening while walking over to Dairy Queen, and sustained a small tear in the calf of my left leg. I have decided it is in the soleus muscle (somewhere under the main muscle group) which I also tore about twenty years ago. My prior experience, and the advice of long-time friend Dr. Ice (thanks Dick!) resounded in my memory—RICE. Fortunately, DQ came across with a bag of ice in short order, and I applied that immediately. Then, the store where we were working supplied a tensor bandage, so I soon had my leg at Rest, Iced, Compressed and Elevated! I believe this has allowed me to suffer minimal debilitation. I'm still limping quite a bit as my left leg doesn't like stretching out, but I managed to golf W, Th and F, walking the 9-hole course each day. My golf is improving! After six rounds, I have now parred every hole except #2, a 200 yard par 3. The markets have continued their troubled ways. TSX was green for the month by 0.28%, but the US indices were red. I had a good week and month, but not quite up to quota. Wendy keeps busy managing the rest of us, and Dave was also here most of the week, so it's been a full schedule. Junior nationals are concluding this weekend in curling, so I'm watching those. Alberta won the women's; Manitoba plays New Brunswick or Saskatchewan in the men's. There's something about a self-cleaning toilet (Super Bowl) on tomorrow, but I won't bother to watch that. I have been following the Aussie Open in tennis—some entertaining play there! I am also watching the Phoenix Open in golf. Busy times!!

With Erica driving the Corolla back and forth to Saskatoon this week, they've learned that it saves them about $5 a day in gasoline costs as compared to the CRV. This weekend, Eric/A are enjoying a surprise visit with Liam. Friday was a PD day at school, and after a few phone calls, Liam was able to catch a ride to Saskatoon where he met up with Erica for the ride home to PA. Haaken is concluding his high school career; Friday was his last day of classes, although he has an exam on Monday morning. He plans to take two correspondence courses to meet some college entrance requirements. He hopes to have his application ready for Capilano University this weekend. We pray it will be well received. Eric and Erica are both enjoying their jobs and getting positive feedback! 

Congratulations! 
We've had a couple of lovely FaceTime chats with Erin and Kristian. It's been a special week for them as Kristian won the Academic Award in his class for reading growth this month. That was presented at the school assembly on Thursday. He enjoyed a full day at the Y on Friday as his school also had a PD day. 

Trav and Joanna remain pretty busy with PuckShots photography even as the season is beginning to wane. Their great quality work and customer service have accorded them a large market share for this business in TBay. We are very proud of them! Gemma is into semester-end exams, doing great, and obsessing only a little too much! Andrew is back into wrestling, and enjoying that once again. 

And that's about it for this week. 

No comments: