Saturday, April 12

News Update

Another week has passed on the shore of Lake Superior in my hometown. The weather has been spring-like and the snow has been disappearing. Lawns have reappeared around the neighbourhood, and I've been out swinging my golf clubs! We continue to work on downstairs renovations; old structures have been cleared away, and the building materials have been purchased and hauled downstairs. Investors seem to have fallen in line with the idea of a "correction". The markets have been down this week, and all US indexes are in the red year-to-date. Sigh! My portfolio has not been immune, so, I've endured significant losses this week and am well short of my quota once again. Two of my holdings have stopped out, and another is close. Kevin Koe lost the bronze medal game to Switzerland, so we didn't even get a medal in world curling. UConn rewarded my selection with a victory in NCAA men's basketball; that was good to see. Baseball season has begun, and the Blue Jays are providing their usual range of heartache and enjoyment. The hockey season is ending, so, Stanley Cup playoffs are set to begin in the coming week. Unfortunately, only one Canadian team has qualified, but there are several teams in there that play a style of hockey I admire, so I'll be cheering for them to do well. 

It's been a quiet week for the Baileys in Parksville. Liam and Haaken have begun a cartooning class, and enjoyed the first session. Eric has applied for a number of jobs, including his own! He has been receiving recommendations from some of his contacts which speaks to the quality of work he has been doing. Hopefully something will develop soon from this in the form of an as-good-as or even better job than the one he's been holding. Erica has developed a liking for Smoothies, so she's garage sale-ing for a Magic Bullet to replace her failing blender! 

Erin and Kristian are doing fine in Regina. Erin has signed up Kristian for professional coaching in golf this summer, so I'm hoping he will be able to help me! Otherwise, school and work are progressing pretty much as usual. 

Travis & Joanna are hosting Joanna's dad this weekend. Their work and the regular routines of school for Gemma and Andrew continue to occupy their days. Trav is preparing for his major annually recurring task—the Stanley Cup playoffs! 

And that's about it for this week. 

No comments: